What director's work do you just not enjoy? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2016, 11:50 AM

Default What director's work do you just not enjoy?

I really don't care for the directing style of Robert Altman. In particular, the way he does sound stages in conjunction with his dialog style, how flat everything sounds and feels.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Let's throw these out there as cop outs, but still great at what they do:
Robert Zemeckis, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg & Ron Howard.
Spielberg had a little hiccup there in the middle but has since corrected. I am referring to around the time that he decided to alter ET to where the feds were carrying walkie talkies instead of guns.
Cameron is very mysterious. We've seen speculation that he now has a political agenda to carry, referring to the decision not to release True Lies but has he said so himself?

Not a fan of Soderberg, Woody Allen, Spike Lee, modern George Lucas.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:07 PM

Wes Anderson - I find all his work pretentious and boring, but they are very well made.

James Cameron - He was responsible for some of the best action movies ever made, but since True Lies he has been super preachy and heavy handed.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:00 PM

Stanley Kubrick

Sorry but his movies are poorly shot, and horribly tedious. The Shining is the only Kubrick movie I halfway enjoy(fall asleep half the time). Easily the most overrated director of our time.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Stanley Kubrick

Sorry but his movies are poorly shot, and horribly tedious. The Shining is the only Kubrick movie I halfway enjoy(fall asleep half the time). Easily the most overrated director of our time.
Same, the only movie I half enjoy of his is Full Metal Jacket, but only the basic training part.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Stanley Kubrick

Thats sad to hear, couldnt disagree more though Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange, The Shining, 2001 A Space Odyssey, all master works of excellent directing, hell even his work on A.I. (that Spielberg fluffed up too much in the end) is great stuff....
Old 11-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Stanley Kubrick

The only film of his I ever feel compelled to rewatch is The Shining. Full Metal Jacket is one of the best war movies in a period of excellent war films, but isn't something I'm "in the mood" to watch. Clockwork Orange, while very interesting, I never really cared for it. Perhaps it was seeing it decades too late, but I never got the cultural obsession with it.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
Same, the only movie I half enjoy of his is Full Metal Jacket, but only the basic training part.
Lol, same there as well. Just been so long since I bothered with the 1st half it slipped my mind.

Could try his movies again, wasn't smoking pot when I tried them last.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:54 PM

Why, Ben Affleck of course.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I too could not care less about a Kubrick movie. Too many overrated artsy fartsy movies.