'Gregory Peck Centennial Collection' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2016, 03:05 PM

Default 'Gregory Peck Centennial Collection' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed the 'Gregory Peck Centennial Collection' He says the films included are good, but this isn't much of a "collection." This set only contains two previously released titles. For fans only. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3714...ollection.html
Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 PM

The "For Fans Only" label really doesn't work out the way it's been used for this release and the recent Beauty and the Beast. In both cases, the quality was great. The knock on the releases both had to do with better ways to collect (B&B was a double-dip), ways most likely already utilized by any serious fan of the film.

So that, in the end, the consumer who will benefit from these great quality releases is the casual viewer who is late to the game. "For Non-Fans Only" would be the best description in both these cases.

Thanks for the informative review, though. I know that harping on numbers of stars and the "For Fans Only" labels, etc, is annoying and the best info is in the bodies of the reviews. Just saying, this case stands out as goofy to me.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:01 AM

You make a really good point, and I have to say I thought long and hard about how to approach the bottom line for this release. Unfortunately, we reviewers are locked into a few predetermined choices for the bottom line, and none of those really fit this release. Although I would recommend both films (and highly recommend 'To Kill a Mockingbird'), I spent the bulk of the review criticizing the concept of the release, so I felt I couldn't slap a "recommended" tag at the top. I also didn't want to say "skip it," because, as you also pointed out, it is a good collection for those late-to-the-party casual viewers who may have missed the previous releases of the individual films. So I settled on the 'For Fans Only' assessment because I thought the release might appeal to diehard Peck fans who would like to have the set for their personal collections. I am hoping the review might inspire people to seek out the previous releases instead. Your point about 'For Non-Fans Only' is a great one! Unfortunately, that's not an option for us, and we can't compose unique bottom line assessments that fit individual films. (I wish we could!) Thanks for raising the point, though! The only way we can change things is if readers speak up, so I really appreciate your post! And thanks for the nice comments about the review!
Old 10-22-2016, 01:28 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I had a similar collection a while back with Humphrey Bogart, and every disc in the set was already available individually. I still gave it a "Highly Recommended" although I pointed out in my review that there was nothing new in the set.

Here's how my "Bottom Line" text looked:

Quote:
While there's nothing new here in terms of content, if you don't already own the individual releases of these titles this is a must-own set for anyone's collection. Highly recommended!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 AM

David, thanks for the graceful response! Your work is appreciated.