'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Default 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed the Criterion release of 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls' . He says the highlights of this release can be found in the bonus materials, especially Roger Ebert's wildly entertaining commentary track (he wrote the screenplay). Recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3505...fthedolls.html
Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 AM

I ordered this the moment it was announced. Hopefully Criterion will continue to produce quality editions of Russ's work. He's a truly underrated filmmaker. People focus on the figures of the women Russ would cast, but there was so much more to his style.

I have this on standard def, and I am glad that Criterion were able to secure the commentary track from Ebert that was on that edition. It's a really fun and interesting listen.

I watch this film every couple years, so the upgrade is definitely worth it for me.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
I ordered this the moment it was announced. Hopefully Criterion will continue to produce quality editions of Russ's work. He's a truly underrated filmmaker. People focus on the figures of the women Russ would cast, but there was so much more to his style.

I have this on standard def, and I am glad that Criterion were able to secure the commentary track from Ebert that was on that edition. It's a really fun and interesting listen.

I watch this film every couple years, so the upgrade is definitely worth it for me.
If Ebert's commentary is anything like his commentary on Casablanca I will definitely buy this.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:12 PM

Ebert's commentary for Dark City is pretty good too
Old 09-21-2016, 08:35 PM

I like Ebert's personality. I miss him as a film reviewer. His commentary tracks are always solid and full of good observation and analysis. Obviously the fact that he was the screenwriter of this film gives him special insight here. He does a good job of relaying how he came to be involved with the project, his creative process, and his intentions. One of the stranger revelations in the commentary track was that he did not intend for the boxer character to draw comparisons to Muhammad Ali. It's not so much there in the writing, but the actor they cast and the way they style him makes it impossible not to think this was intentional.

Russ Meyer is just such a character, he was like a walking anecdote-generator. Ebert tells so many funny stories about Russ (and does an impression of him). Ebert worked with him a few more times (frequent writing under a pen name) and I liked Ebert's dialogue style combined with Meyer's visual style. In the commentary track Ebert reveals that he and Meyer were hired to make a movie that would star The Sex Pistols. Like an anti-'Hard Day's Night'. But financing fell apart right as it was heading into production. I would've very much liked for that film to have been a reality.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:23 PM

Ebert is absolutely a sane and missed voice in the world of film criticism. If he liked it, he'd say so, if he loved it, you couldn't shut him up, if he hated it, his review would be the most entertaining thing you experienced that entire day. It almost seems fitting that he'd be the writer of a Russ Meyer movie, there's nothing odd about that in my mind what so ever.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
Ebert's commentary for Dark City is pretty good too
YES, I've listened to that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
I like Ebert's personality. I miss him as a film reviewer. His commentary tracks are always solid and full of good observation and analysis. Obviously the fact that he was the screenwriter of this film gives him special insight here. He does a good job of relaying how he came to be involved with the project, his creative process, and his intentions. One of the stranger revelations in the commentary track was that he did not intend for the boxer character to draw comparisons to Muhammad Ali. It's not so much there in the writing, but the actor they cast and the way they style him makes it impossible not to think this was intentional.

Russ Meyer is just such a character, he was like a walking anecdote-generator. Ebert tells so many funny stories about Russ (and does an impression of him). Ebert worked with him a few more times (frequent writing under a pen name) and I liked Ebert's dialogue style combined with Meyer's visual style. In the commentary track Ebert reveals that he and Meyer were hired to make a movie that would star The Sex Pistols. Like an anti-'Hard Day's Night'. But financing fell apart right as it was heading into production. I would've very much liked for that film to have been a reality.
I'll definitely be picking up this blu ray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
Ebert is absolutely a sane and missed voice in the world of film criticism. If he liked it, he'd say so, if he loved it, you couldn't shut him up, if he hated it, his review would be the most entertaining thing you experienced that entire day. It almost seems fitting that he'd be the writer of a Russ Meyer movie, there's nothing odd about that in my mind what so ever.
Agreed!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:44 PM

Where did that $29.95 list price come from? That can't be correct. But anyway check out the crazy price on bn.com HALF PRICE! Getting my order in.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
Where did that $29.95 list price come from? That can't be correct.
Yeah, I think that's an Amazon typo. It should be $39.95 per Criterion's usual pricing. Like the other Valley of the Dolls, for example.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nandscathed-20

You'll note that the "discount" price of $27.99 is the same for both discs, so the MSRP error didn't result in a bigger discount.

Quote:
But anyway check out the crazy price on bn.com HALF PRICE! Getting my order in.
Strange that just that title is 50% off but other Criterions aren't. It's not even time for B&N's Criterion sale yet. (The next one's in November.)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:45 AM

This was a mess for a while, but man the end is so great (it actually pulls together very well) and the music is terrific. Glad I have it. I love the other Dolls movie, which is so bad it's good. Actually Patty Duke is so awful.