'The Night Manager' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-21-2016, 10:37 AM

Default 'The Night Manager' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The Night Manager'. Like many John le Carré adaptations, he says this is a slow burn. Worth a look. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3493...htmanager.html
Old 09-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks Shannon - I had a piqued interest on this one... Hiddleston & Laurie back together again. As I did not read the novel or see this when it was shown on tv I cannot comment or debate any aspect of it.

Sony - Region locked... Really ? Would guess that because it is not a true Sony production but rather BBC that some contractual agreement made that happen. But in the new age with UHD BD I would have certainly hoped that little by little they would be loosening up the rules for even regular BD.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:59 PM

I bought this one, just haven't got around to watching it yet.

I have read the novel and liked it. I thought it would make a good movie. The cast represents some interesting choices. They're all talented and I'm sure they'll have fun with the characters, Laurie especially.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Sony - Region locked... Really ? Would guess that because it is not a true Sony production but rather BBC that some contractual agreement made that happen. But in the new age with UHD BD I would have certainly hoped that little by little they would be loosening up the rules for even regular BD.
Sony TV series releases are almost always region-locked. Blacklist...Outlander...both Region A-only.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:52 AM

I finally caught up with this. I quite liked it. As I somewhat expected, they completely changed the ending from the novel. In the novel
Spoiler
the good guys more or less lose. Pine's cover is blown by moles within intelligence. Roper becomes convinced that Jed must also be a spy and decides to torture Pine to death get him to confirm this. Burr negotiates to save Pine and Jed's lives, leaving Roper to continue with his business. Pine and Jed return to England having not beaten the bad guy, but at least having found each other.

The change to the ending didn't really bother me. For a six part miniseries, it was probably the right thing to do.

I found it odd that they changed all of the North American locations to mostly European ones (swapping the Caribbean for Mojorca and USA for Spain). Maybe this was because of funding or permits. It didn't really bother me either.

The only thing I can really criticize is Tom Hiddleston's makeup. He frequently looks like he's wearing bright red lipstick. That was distracting.

Otherwise, jolly good show. I quite liked it.