How to easily remove glue residue from HD-DVD/Blu-ray Cases - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 PM

Default How to easily remove glue residue from HD-DVD/Blu-ray Cases

Ok first off I'm very anal about my movies; I like the cases, art work, slips, etc. I EXTEMELY hate when you buy a new movie get it home, open it, and find that the crappy security has left glue residue all over your new movie. In the past this forced me to buy blank cases to swap to……………… BUT NOT ANYMORE.

Since I had a few ‘residue’ cases lying around I figured I would try a few different methods to get the residue off…. Ok I was really bored today.

First I tried rubbing alcohol, results were poor, smeared the glue more than anything

Second I tried Goo-Off and industrial cleaner, again not much help, mostly smearing

Finally I thought why not try to erase it… serious why not. So I grabbed a couple WHITE GUM erasers, I should note they were the soft kind, not the hard ones……… and WOW I could actually erase the entire residue without damaging ANY of the plastic. While it took a few minutes on each case, I managed to clean 6 today, now all look BRAND new.
Hope this helps anyone ‘anal’ like me.

Jamie
Old 08-08-2007, 09:51 PM

I also read in a thread about this a while ago that you can use the security stickers that are on the sides to peel it off and it worked for me. You put it over the residue and then press and it down and peel it off and after a few times its off, works great!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM

Goof-off and acetone-based products (e.g., nailpolish remover) actually eat the plastic sleeve part of the case away, since those substances are solvents tht are strong enough to dissolve vinyl. When you used that, you DID get rid of the glue, but the trouble is that you also got rid of the case as well.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM

Mr.Speed29's reccomendation is what works for me all the time.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Thanks to all for the advice, but there are a couple of questions I have. First, what the freak is a white gum eraser?

And second, none of these suggestions seem to address the problem of Disney discs. Lately, it seems, Disney has been adding the extra security sticker on the inside of their cases, and actually attached to the case itself. (I'm talking abut the big square sticker, guys, not the little black strip.) Those are nearly impossible to remove, let alone the residue.

If someone can help me with those, I'm sure I'd be grateful, but until then, I'll keep purchasing blank BD cases. 50˘ per case doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAngel View Post
Thanks to all for the advice, but there are a couple of questions I have. First, what the freak is a white gum eraser?

And second, none of these suggestions seem to address the problem of Disney discs. Lately, it seems, Disney has been adding the extra security sticker on the inside of their cases, and actually attached to the case itself. (I'm talking abut the big square sticker, guys, not the little black strip.) Those are nearly impossible to remove, let alone the residue.

If someone can help me with those, I'm sure I'd be grateful, but until then, I'll keep purchasing blank BD cases. 50˘ per case doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
Where do you buy your cases?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM

GooGone has always worked for me.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 PM

yea, i dunno what white gum is either
Old 08-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Speed29 View Post
I also read in a thread about this a while ago that you can use the security stickers that are on the sides to peel it off and it worked for me. You put it over the residue and then press and it down and peel it off and after a few times its off, works great!
I use this method as well and it does work very well.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 PM

LOL, you dont remember white gum erasers from your school days....

http://www.amazon.com/Uchi-White-Gum.../dp/B000SZUG8S