'Gods of Egypt' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Default 'Gods of Egypt' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Gods of Egypt'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/32427/godsofegypt.html
Old 06-03-2016, 12:24 PM

Geoffrey Rush? I swear I thought that was James Woods. :/
Old 06-03-2016, 12:48 PM

I love junk like this. It is eye candy for sure with a sound track that has few dull moments.

At least there is very little handheld, shaky cam stuff in this movie.

Also have Dark City, Knowing and I, Robot.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:16 PM

Was this worse than Immortals? Both movies seem like the same thing- although I have not seen this
Old 06-03-2016, 03:32 PM

This film is awful. I saw with a friend just to riff on it. We went on a Tuesday when tickets are 50% off.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
This film is awful. I saw with a friend just to riff on it. We went on a Tuesday when tickets are 50% off.
Sounds like a great time.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Was this worse than Immortals? Both movies seem like the same thing- although I have not seen this
I never take anyone's word about a movie, I always rent (Netflix) any given title and judge for myself. Would suggest everyone else do the same (as in rent, local rental, Redbox, Netflix, etc.).

Have disliked many critically acclaimed movies and really liked movies that were panned.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I liked "Immortals" better than this. That had at least one memorable sequence, which is 1 more than "Gods Of Egypt". The whole thing looks like a video game. It simultaneously manages to look very expensive and very cheap.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Ugh, well as much as I like big dumb movies like this, this failed on so many levels....how a movie with this kind of budget can have some of the worst green screen since the 90s is beyond my comprehension.

And how has Alex Proyas gone from The Crow and Dark City to this junk? Prime example of a guy who does better on a much smaller budget, this movie does have some great visuals and ideas but they are overshadowed by all of the bad. Geoffrey Rush as RA, pulling up the Sun and fighting off Apophis is pretty damn sweet and I liked the visuals for the Underworld as well but so much of the movie looked way worse, the main cast walking through the desert was laughable and looked SO bad.

The script itself was generic with barely a story worth telling, plenty of it was fine for the type of movie this is but so much was just out in left field....take the Sphinx for example, nothing like a giant angry statue that is going to kill you when you cant answer its riddle only to come out and say "Oh Bother" after you do, what????? Who the hell wrote something like that? And the movie is filled with that kind of crap, as much as people dont like the remake of Clash of the Titans that much, I would take that any day over this one
Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 AM

I kinda loved this movie. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and all the white people playing Egyptians makes it even funnier. Geoffrey Rush as Ra was absolutely ridiculous. it's an expensive B-movie with a hell of a surround track. Total sensory overload. I can not wait until I become DTS:X ready. I watched it in 3D and that always helps green screen work look a little more realistic. This was more entertaining than Immortals in my opinion.