'Blade' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-02-2016, 03:13 PM

Default 'Blade' - High-Def Digest Review

Please welcome Kyle Newton to High-Def Digest! Kyle has reviewed 'Blade'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3805/blade.html
Old 06-02-2016, 03:45 PM

The opening scene of this movie when I first saw it blew me away, and I still enjoy watching it.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:20 AM

This release have English subs? As I recall, the older BD I have doesn't, which makes it pretty worthless for me.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:27 AM

I notice that this is a review of the several-years-old release. I have a question for the mods here...if one of us frequent visitors has a Blu-Ray that has not be reviewed here, could we perhaps submit a review?

I don't expect I have the same caliber equipment as reviewers, though I do have it all properly calibrated.

If you guys & gals don't mind, I'd like to do one (just for fun) following the format already used...I certainly wouldn't be insulted if it wasn't used.

You could run it as a weekly feature, a "user review" pulled from submissions, for older or obscure Blu-Rays that never got reviewed.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I notice that this is a review of the several-years-old release. I have a question for the mods here...if one of us frequent visitors has a Blu-Ray that has not be reviewed here, could we perhaps submit a review?

I don't expect I have the same caliber equipment as reviewers, though I do have it all properly calibrated.

If you guys & gals don't mind, I'd like to do one (just for fun) following the format already used...I certainly wouldn't be insulted if it wasn't used.

You could run it as a weekly feature, a "user review" pulled from submissions, for older or obscure Blu-Rays that never got reviewed.
The idea has merit, but I think we'd run into some administrative hurdles to make it happen. We'd also have to find a way to clearly distinguish between the staff reviews and a guest review. The danger we'd face is to let someone (not you, just a hypothetical) who's wildly unqualified and/or incompetent publish a review filled with errors or bad info that readers then take as being the site's official review of the disc.

Of course, we face that same danger any time we hire a new writer.

I wouldn't rule it out (I'm not even the decision maker for something like this), but if it doesn't happen, don't take that to mean that we don't like you or like the idea.

In the meantime, either this forum or the Comments section beneath a listing would be the best places to post your thoughts on the disc.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM

We could make a User Review thread/Section. Where it's clearly a community based affair.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The idea has merit, but I think we'd run into some administrative hurdles to make it happen. We'd also have to find a way to clearly distinguish between the staff reviews and a guest review. The danger we'd face is to let someone (not you, just a hypothetical) who's wildly unqualified and/or incompetent publish a review filled with errors or bad info that readers then take as being the site's official review of the disc.

Of course, we face that same danger any time we hire a new writer.

I wouldn't rule it out (I'm not even the decision maker for something like this), but if it doesn't happen, don't take that to mean that we don't like you or like the idea.

In the meantime, either this forum or the Comments section beneath a listing would be the best places to post your thoughts on the disc.
Thanks for the reply!

I definitely see what you are saying...my two cents would have the reader reviews be perhaps shorter, with a designated color/banner that made it jump out that it was a visitor review...and perhaps a sort of "pass/fail" grade, instead of the more intricate current rating system. I can see the problem with slogging through a bunch of submissions of various quality, too.

As for discussing in the forum...I really just saw it for the purpose of bringing to light older, over looked blu-ray titles. If it never even had an announcement forum post, the review post is less likely to get noticed.

EDIT: A good example of one that I would love to review is 'Fortress'.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8637/fortress.html

Aside from the quality of the movie itself, it'd be worth (IMO) discussing some of the technical issues with the transfer, or special features, for those fans interested.

EDIT: This weekend, I'll post my thoughts under the forum link above...I like the idea!

Last edited by NJScorpio; 06-03-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
We could make a User Review thread/Section. Where it's clearly a community based affair.
That's a pretty neat idea.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Didn't we try this at one point and it went nowhere because nobody participated?
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Didn't we try this at one point and it went nowhere because nobody participated?
...probably :P