'99 River Street' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM

Default '99 River Street' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed '99 River Street'. This is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3209...verstreet.html
Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 PM

I just watched this, thanks Amazon Prime

Man, this movie could have been MUCH better IMO. I found the first half dragging in a little bit, but the second half is much better. I must be blind, David what was the one twist you mentioned in the review?

I know you are a fan of Payne but I am not. I may like Kansas City Confidential better than this movie but I just can't get into Payne, he doesn't seem believable and looks like he is overacting. I also, sadly, have never seen Miracle on 34th ST or his other movies.

In the second half the film, the whole scene
Spoiler
after he gets shot and chases down that guy at the pier. With the sound of his previous fight in his head, that just dragged on and seemed too cheesy. If they had shortened that to maybe 2 scenes rather than for a good 5+ minutes it may have worked better IMO. Also, there is no way anyone could land those punches after being shot.

There seemed to be other minor nuances throughout the movie that held it back, these seem more present in the first half than the second half. I thought the story unfolding in the second half was really good.

I really liked Peggy Castle in this for some reason. She doesn't get much screen time but she played it well IMO

Funny, when I was watching it, the scene where Evelyn Keyes is trying to seduce the bad guy she something like you talk too much, I said to myself "watch him tell her to scram" and then he says to her "beat it" LOL- I literally laughed out loud.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I just watched this, thanks Amazon Prime

Man, this movie could have been MUCH better IMO. I found the first half dragging in a little bit, but the second half is much better. I must be blind, David what was the one twist you mentioned in the review?
Well, the "twist" I alluded to was
Spoiler
Evelyn Keyes leading John Payne to believe she had committed a murder, taking him to the theater, showing him the dead body, and describing in detail how she accidentally killed the director before revealing it was all just an expanded "audition" to see if she really could tackle the role. I found this little "twist" doubly fascinating - not only did it give Payne a reason to explode (shades of Bogart in 'In a Lonely Place') and thus give the police a reason to begin seeking him out before his wife was murdered, but it also showcases a very interesting interpretation by Keyes. While I was watching that scene initially (when Keyes describes the killing), I thought to myself, "Wow, Keyes is really, really overacting here, and the film is suffering as a result. Why didn't the director tone her down?" But upon listening to the audio commentary, I learned the over-the-top delivery of that monologue was an intentional choice by Keyes, because she was playing a character who was a novice, unpolished actress who was giving a "performance" and was overacting in a desperate attempt to impress a potential director and land her first big role. Apparently, the director of '99 River Street' was concerned the audience wouldn't understand what she was doing and wouldn't buy her performance, but Keyes was adamant that that was how the scene should be played. Ultimately, the director gave in, and in retrospect, it's a really savvy move. She kinda does the same thing later on when she tries to seduce that gangster. She's very definitely "acting" a part, and looks at it initially as fun and challenging, without truly realizing the danger she's put herself in. Her intriguing performance is one of the main reasons why I like the film.

Quote:
I know you are a fan of Payne but I am not. I may like Kansas City Confidential better than this movie but I just can't get into Payne, he doesn't seem believable and looks like he is overacting. I also, sadly, have never seen Miracle on 34th ST or his other movies.
I wouldn't say I'm a Payne "fan" necessarily, but I find him likable and appreciate his versatility. You really should see 'Miracle on 34th Street' someday. It's really an iconic holiday movie and Payne is quite good in it. He's charming, funny, and understated. To think that guy could become a film noir hero - much like Dick Powell went from crooner to tough guy - is quite a leap, and I think Payne did a good job with the transition. I actually think 'The Crooked Way' is my favorite of Payne's noir films.

Quote:
In the second half the film, the whole scene
Spoiler
after he gets shot and chases down that guy at the pier. With the sound of his previous fight in his head, that just dragged on and seemed too cheesy. If they had shortened that to maybe 2 scenes rather than for a good 5+ minutes it may have worked better IMO. Also, there is no way anyone could land those punches after being shot.
Agree completely.

Quote:
I really liked Peggy Castle in this for some reason. She doesn't get much screen time but she played it well IMO
Right on!! Peggie Castle was great in this! I looked her up and she was in a couple of other movies I had seen, but I honestly didn't remember her. But she makes a great impression in this film and you just can't take your eyes off of her while she's on screen. She just instantly grabs your attention.

Quote:
Funny, when I was watching it, the scene where Evelyn Keyes is trying to seduce the bad guy she something like you talk too much, I said to myself "watch him tell her to scram" and then he says to her "beat it" LOL- I literally laughed out loud.
Good call!! Gotta love film noir! If only real life was half as cool!
Old 06-10-2016, 04:16 PM

Don't know how I missed your reply, it must have gotten buried with newer posts.

[QUOTE=dbacksfan;2588375]Well, the "twist" I alluded to was
Spoiler
Evelyn Keyes leading John Payne to believe she had committed a murder, taking him to the theater, showing him the dead body, and describing in detail how she accidentally killed the director before revealing it was all just an expanded "audition" to see if she really could tackle the role. I found this little "twist" doubly fascinating - not only did it give Payne a reason to explode (shades of Bogart in 'In a Lonely Place') and thus give the police a reason to begin seeking him out before his wife was murdered, but it also showcases a very interesting interpretation by Keyes. While I was watching that scene initially (when Keyes describes the killing), I thought to myself, "Wow, Keyes is really, really overacting here, and the film is suffering as a result. Why didn't the director tone her down?" But upon listening to the audio commentary, I learned the over-the-top delivery of that monologue was an intentional choice by Keyes, because she was playing a character who was a novice, unpolished actress who was giving a "performance" and was overacting in a desperate attempt to impress a potential director and land her first big role. Apparently, the director of '99 River Street' was concerned the audience wouldn't understand what she was doing and wouldn't buy her performance, but Keyes was adamant that that was how the scene should be played. Ultimately, the director gave in, and in retrospect, it's a really savvy move. She kinda does the same thing later on when she tries to seduce that gangster. She's very definitely "acting" a part, and looks at it initially as fun and challenging, without truly realizing the danger she's put herself in. Her intriguing performance is one of the main reasons why I like the film.

Yes, I understand your opinion now. I agree, it was a savvy move and worked well in the movie. Also agree about what she does with the gangster. I thought she did a great job in BOTH scenes. A credit to her "acting" skills indeed hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
I wouldn't say I'm a Payne "fan" necessarily, but I find him likable and appreciate his versatility. You really should see 'Miracle on 34th Street' someday. It's really an iconic holiday movie and Payne is quite good in it. He's charming, funny, and understated. To think that guy could become a film noir hero - much like Dick Powell went from crooner to tough guy - is quite a leap, and I think Payne did a good job with the transition. I actually think 'The Crooked Way' is my favorite of Payne's noir films.
Every Christmas I say I will watch this movie and I never do. I'll make it a point to watch it this holiday season.
Haven't seen or heard of The Crooked Way but I will check that out too

Quote:
Right on!! Peggie Castle was great in this! I looked her up and she was in a couple of other movies I had seen, but I honestly didn't remember her. But she makes a great impression in this film and you just can't take your eyes off of her while she's on screen. She just instantly grabs your attention.
YUP LOL. Can't really explain it but she sure does.

Quote:
Good call!! Gotta love film noir! If only real life was half as cool!
Hahaha for sure
Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Haven't seen or heard of The Crooked Way but I will check that out too
Shameless self-promotion...'The Crooked Way'