'The Finest Hours' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-24-2016, 02:17 PM

Default 'The Finest Hours' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'The Finest Hours'. This is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3027...nesthours.html
Old 05-24-2016, 05:17 PM

Probably would have been a blind buy for me, but it's another Disney Movie where they have decided not to release it on 3D Blu-Ray so I won't be buying until I can find the 3D import at a reasonable price.

I really thought when I read Zootopia was getting a 3D release they were going to stop this craziness.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post
Probably would have been a blind buy for me, but it's another Disney Movie where they have decided not to release it on 3D Blu-Ray so I won't be buying until I can find the 3D import at a reasonable price.

I really thought when I read Zootopia was getting a 3D release they were going to stop this craziness.
Craziness is thinking 3D is anything but dead in the HT market.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

When studios are only putting ATMOS/DTS:X on their UHD versions and using older audio formats on standard blu-ray discs, it's easy to figure that they're trying to wean people off of blu-ray and on to UHD blu-ray. 3D is a 100+ year old technology that isn't going away, but 3D blu-ray probably will go away sooner rather than later. Whatever the claim on UHD 3D is at the moment, I believe that they're eventually going to have to look at 3D options, to appease the European and Chinese markets. A lot of people tend to believe that 3D glasses are the problem and that when autostereoscopic tvs come out, everyone will rejoice and accept it, but I'm not so sure about that. I think that you just can't appease some people, and they'll always find an excuse to complain.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
When studios are only putting ATMOS/DTS:X on their UHD versions and using older audio formats on standard blu-ray discs, it's easy to figure that they're trying to wean people off of blu-ray and on to UHD blu-ray.
Why don't they wean people of dvd if that's the case?
Even if it's from a copy protection standpoint, UHD BD has AACS 2.0 which at the moment is new and essentially uncrackable. Regular BD is a little more complicated but pretty much everything they try now is cracked within hours and dvd for the more part has been wide open for years-every so often they try something new but they have limits because it needs to still be compatible with older players.

Re the 3D route - more manufacturers need to embrace the tvs that use the same glasses you would wear at a theater. They're not as bulky, require no batteries or charging and are generally brighter. That technology is perfected well enough that IMO a UHD display or OLED might make it perfect.

Was not this move a post-conversion? Any ideas what it looked like?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Why don't they wean people of dvd if that's the case?
Interestingly, I was at a thrift store the other day and saw a grandmother buying a bunch of children's VHS tapes for her granddaughter. I believe the answer is that people are choosing to stick with older technologies. Even if studios aren't making VHS any more, DVDs are still supporting the market in some capacity. By taking away extra features for what's still out there, they're trying to make people decide to make the move from dvd and blu-ray to UHD on their own. Remember, a big market for studios is for people to continually buy upgraded versions of the same films. When a new format comes out, it's an easy way to sell Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Terminator 1 and 2, and Lawrence of Arabia all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Was not this move a post-conversion? Any ideas what it looked like?

Yes, it was a post conversion. As for what it looked like, according to cinemablend, it was a darker film, which doesn't usually do well for 3D films, but it still got a 4 out of 5 for depth.

EDIT:
BTW, This film is available on 3D Blu-ray in India. There is an ebay seller selling it, but if anyone has any contacts in India, they may be able to get it cheaper.

Last edited by malakai; 05-29-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:03 PM

I saw this in theatres when it was released. I did not see it in 3D at the time. While I finally upgraded my TV to one that does do 3D (and UHD), and am glad that I could finally get to watching some of the collection of 3D discs (mostly Disney/Marvel) that I had accumulated over time, this wasn't one that I was that concerned about getting in 3D. The professional (TV station) reviewers in my area noted it wasn't one where they would recommend 3D and having seen this in theatres, I don't think 3D would have been too enjoyable.

Dark, very dark really, palette and setting. Mostly at night, dim lighting for most of it, and a lot of it just not seeming to make for what would have been an impressive 3D experience. Side views/profiles mainly, an engine room setting with little that would indicate much depth or perspective.

In the end, I can't much blame Disney for not pushing this one in 3D. As noted, 3D is mostly a dead end for home users now and other than future Marvel flicks, I'm not sure I expect to see that many more 3D Blu releases.

As to the actual movie here, my thoughts are that it merits viewing but I would also caution that there are several scenes where you'll have a difficult time finding what you are looking for on the screen. Tiny little boat on a vast body of water, covered over with massive waves. Finding the boat on the screen will drive you a little crazy. The story is exciting, though it includes a love story that in many ways feel as it was pushed too hard. There's also a sub-plot revolving around the Coast Guard commander that I don't think was as necessary as the director/ studio/ whomever felt it was.

Not a flawless movie at all, but still good enough to get 4 out of 5 stars from me. If you've got family that are in the coast guard, it will have a bit more value for you and perhaps you'd appreciate it more.