The Player (Criterion Collection) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM

Default The Player (Criterion Collection) - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed the Criterion release of Robert Altman's 'The Player'. If you're a fan of the film, he says this is the version to own. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3063...criterion.html
Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM

Pretty big fan of the film. I remember watching this with my mother when it was released on VHS. It was actually my introduction to Altman, and I get a big kick out of its skewering of Hollywood. Lots of injokes. Maybe...too much for some. Love it nonetheless.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

IMO the Criterion version is too dark. I realize a couple of stills does not make a final judgment but I do not see any lost detail because the other version is brighter (remembering Scanners here) and how the overly bright picture did make details wash out.

One good thing though - a 4K scan will mean the inevitable UHD release.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
IMO the Criterion version is too dark. I realize a couple of stills does not make a final judgment but I do not see any lost detail because the other version is brighter (remembering Scanners here) and how the overly bright picture did make details wash out.

One good thing though - a 4K scan will mean the inevitable UHD release.
Please don't try to judge brightness based on screencaps. Is your computer monitor calibrated? (That's a rhetorical question. Of course it isn't. Nobody's is.) Even if it were calibrated (which it isn't), what is its contrast performance ratio? 100:1? 200:1?

The Blu-ray is plenty bright and vibrant on my projector. The contrast on the Criterion disc is much richer and smoother and more textured than the older Blu-ray. Fine object detail is also much better resolved. In the mud bath still, look at the text on the signs. It's much easier to read on the Criterion disc, and that has nothing to do with brightness.

The New Line disc wasn't awful. It was adequate. But judged in comparison, it looks fuzzy and dull.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:01 PM

Totally want to see this!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM

The opening "shot" is worth the price of admission...
Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Please don't try to judge brightness based on screencaps. Is your computer monitor calibrated? (That's a rhetorical question. Of course it isn't. Nobody's is.) Even if it were calibrated (which it isn't), what is its contrast performance ratio? 100:1? 200:1?
Am aware of your standard disclosure. Have a reasonably higher end monitor, have seen movies look quite well on it while going out in the other room to the calibrated HT screen and being quite underwhelmed. Want to say the contrast ratio claims to be 1,000,000:1 and will tell ya that when you see those impossible to decipher color and greyscale charts that you do see each unique color on the chart.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Am aware of your standard disclosure. Have a reasonably higher end monitor, have seen movies look quite well on it while going out in the other room to the calibrated HT screen and being quite underwhelmed. Want to say the contrast ratio claims to be 1,000,000:1 and will tell ya that when you see those impossible to decipher color and greyscale charts that you do see each unique color on the chart.
Well, there's nothing wrong with the brightness of the Criterion transfer. The older transfer is washed out with poor contrast depth.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.