The Player (Criterion Collection) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Attebery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,716
Default The Player (Criterion Collection) - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed the Criterion release of Robert Altman's 'The Player'. If you're a fan of the film, he says this is the version to own. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3063...criterion.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,851
Default

Pretty big fan of the film. I remember watching this with my mother when it was released on VHS. It was actually my introduction to Altman, and I get a big kick out of its skewering of Hollywood. Lots of injokes. Maybe...too much for some. Love it nonetheless.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,624
Default

IMO the Criterion version is too dark. I realize a couple of stills does not make a final judgment but I do not see any lost detail because the other version is brighter (remembering Scanners here) and how the overly bright picture did make details wash out.

One good thing though - a 4K scan will mean the inevitable UHD release.
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
IMO the Criterion version is too dark. I realize a couple of stills does not make a final judgment but I do not see any lost detail because the other version is brighter (remembering Scanners here) and how the overly bright picture did make details wash out.

One good thing though - a 4K scan will mean the inevitable UHD release.
Please don't try to judge brightness based on screencaps. Is your computer monitor calibrated? (That's a rhetorical question. Of course it isn't. Nobody's is.) Even if it were calibrated (which it isn't), what is its contrast performance ratio? 100:1? 200:1?

The Blu-ray is plenty bright and vibrant on my projector. The contrast on the Criterion disc is much richer and smoother and more textured than the older Blu-ray. Fine object detail is also much better resolved. In the mud bath still, look at the text on the signs. It's much easier to read on the Criterion disc, and that has nothing to do with brightness.

The New Line disc wasn't awful. It was adequate. But judged in comparison, it looks fuzzy and dull.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Boston007's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,210
Default

Totally want to see this!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM
onaccountof's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 71
Default

The opening "shot" is worth the price of admission...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Please don't try to judge brightness based on screencaps. Is your computer monitor calibrated? (That's a rhetorical question. Of course it isn't. Nobody's is.) Even if it were calibrated (which it isn't), what is its contrast performance ratio? 100:1? 200:1?
Am aware of your standard disclosure. Have a reasonably higher end monitor, have seen movies look quite well on it while going out in the other room to the calibrated HT screen and being quite underwhelmed. Want to say the contrast ratio claims to be 1,000,000:1 and will tell ya that when you see those impossible to decipher color and greyscale charts that you do see each unique color on the chart.
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Am aware of your standard disclosure. Have a reasonably higher end monitor, have seen movies look quite well on it while going out in the other room to the calibrated HT screen and being quite underwhelmed. Want to say the contrast ratio claims to be 1,000,000:1 and will tell ya that when you see those impossible to decipher color and greyscale charts that you do see each unique color on the chart.
Well, there's nothing wrong with the brightness of the Criterion transfer. The older transfer is washed out with poor contrast depth.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'The Wages of Fear' (Criterion Collection) - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 25 07-31-2013 07:03 AM
'The Man Who Fell to Earth' (Criterion Collection) - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 40 01-10-2011 02:30 AM
'Gomorrah' (Criterion Collection) - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 34 01-12-2010 12:14 AM
'Monsoon Wedding' (Criterion Collection) - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 3 11-17-2009 06:06 PM
'In the Realm of the Senses' (Criterion Collection)- High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 14 05-06-2009 10:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off