'Manhunter: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-20-2016, 02:02 PM

Default 'Manhunter: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Manhunter: Collector's Edition'. He says this is an admirable version of Thomas Harris' novel 'Red Dragon'. This Shout Factory release gives viewers two cuts of the movie, along with plenty of bonus materials. Highly recommended.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3022...rsedition.html
Old 05-20-2016, 04:10 PM

Red Dragon is one of the best novels I have ever read, and Manhunter is a pretty good version of it right up until that bullshit climactic scene. I have no idea what Michael Mann was thinking, although I admit I often don't. Sadly, Ratner's version, while it takes liberties of its own, is more accurate and also features Sir Anthony Hopkins. So I have to give the edge to Red Dragon because that Manhunter ending is just too fucking weird and out of place and weak.

Not that anyone asked.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:23 PM

I'm curious whether the theatrical cut is really the theatrical cut. Michael Mann can't help but make changes to the movie every time he looks at it.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:42 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I'm curious whether the theatrical cut is really the theatrical cut. Michael Mann can't help but make changes to the movie every time he looks at it.
It's the same commentary as the old DVD Divimax release, so I'm assuming it's the same cut that was on that disc (which I don't own and haven't seen).

EDIT: I misread Josh's comment, as he's talking about the Theatrical Cut on Disc 1...who knows? It's been too long to remember what was in the original cut...I'm sure we'll get an expert sooner or later that will report on any differences. I'm curious to know if it's exactly the same as the bare bones Region 1 disc that's out there.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:31 PM

I bought the Hannibal collection just for Manhunter awhile back. Will I double dip... yes, yes I will.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
This is apparently the same "theatrical cut" as the previous Blu-ray release with the "my heart bleeds for him" speech near the end. The old WB Laserdisc had that line in there too. The Divimax "theatrical cut" didn't have that line and neither does this "Director's Cut" - This "Director's Cut" is also missing the first meeting between Graham and Chilton that was in the old Anchor Bay "Director's Cut" - my head is spinning...
Old 05-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Banned

No double dipping for me.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
This is apparently the same "theatrical cut" as the previous Blu-ray release with the "my heart bleeds for him" speech near the end. The old WB Laserdisc had that line in there too. The Divimax "theatrical cut" didn't have that line and neither does this "Director's Cut" - This "Director's Cut" is also missing the first meeting between Graham and Chilton that was in the old Anchor Bay "Director's Cut" - my head is spinning...
The movie has an extremely frustrating history on home video. Michael Mann has tinkered with it so many times that even he doesn't know what's in the movie or not in the movie anymore. In his commentary on the Director's Cut DVD, he cites that "My heart bleeds for him" speech as his favorite dialogue in the movie, completely unaware that he cut it out of the version he's commenting on!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM

I'll definitely be purchasing this one next pay day. I remember watching this when I was younger, and I had absolutely no idea what I was watching (really didn't appreciate it because I thought it was boring). I'll jump on the bandwagon and state that the ending really kills the movie, and for my sake puts it behind Red Dragon. I just really love Hopkins and Norton in that movie. A personal aside though, I enjoy watching Manhunter more than Red Dragon, and I even have the soundtrack on my phone.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
The movie has an extremely frustrating history on home video. Michael Mann has tinkered with it so many times that even he doesn't know what's in the movie or not in the movie anymore. In his commentary on the Director's Cut DVD, he cites that "My heart bleeds for him" speech as his favorite dialogue in the movie, completely unaware that he cut it out of the version he's commenting on!
Right! it's so strange that he made that comment and it's not even in his prefered cut of the film. But then he did the same amount of tinkering with every release of Mohicans that ever came down the pipeline, supposedly there is another cut of Blackhat in the works? Not sure where I heard that.