'Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Default 'Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Matthew Hartman has reviewed the remastered 'Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition'. He says this is a great bit of nostalgia that's highly enjoyable in HD. Fox has knocked it out of the park with a stellar A/V presentation. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3165...enceday20.html
Old 05-09-2016, 01:18 PM

Sounds like a big improvement, can't wait for the UHD!
Old 05-09-2016, 01:26 PM

Although the specs on my packaging indicate a 7.1 DTS master track, my disc menu indicates that it is a 5.1 track and I can not detect any audio on my rear surround speakers. Can anyone else confirm if their's is the same? I tried the theatrical and extended.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csm101 View Post
Although the specs on my packaging indicate a 7.1 DTS master track, my disc menu indicates that it is a 5.1 track and I can not detect any audio on my rear surround speakers. Can anyone else confirm if their's is the same? I tried the theatrical and extended.
Mine too indicates a 5.1 track. This is the second review that I read who state a 7.1 DTS Master track. I don't know what to think. Is it possible that there are some badly encoded discs? The 4k version comes out on June 7 with, supposedly, a DTS-X track so it's logical to think that there is a 7.1 track somewhere.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
After reading this, I did a double check, you're actually correct, the disc seems to contain only a 5.1 and not the full 7.1 DTS. I've updated my review to reflect that unfortunate oversight. I thought the new mix sounded so much better and more imersive than the previous release that I didn't double check. Thanks for catching that.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM

Thanks to Wilfredo and Matthew for the prompt responses. I was starting to wonder if there was some kind of weird distribution error. I look forward to the uhd review when available and hopefully both the 7.1 and full DTS:X audio comparisons.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks to Wilfredo and Matthew for the prompt responses. I was starting to wonder if there was some kind of weird distribution error. I look forward to the uhd review when available and hopefully both the 7.1 and full DTS:X audio comparisons.
Not a problem, sorry for the mixup on my end, usually I do double check those specs, I took for granted the improved sound quality and didn't do my due diligence.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
Not a problem, sorry for the mixup on my end, usually I do double check those specs, I took for granted the improved sound quality and didn't do my due diligence.
Let's try not to have that happen again...

Just kidding, Matt. Great review nonetheless. Looking forward to picking this release up. And thanks a lot for putting those screenshot comparisons up. Quite the difference between the two releases.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:16 PM

Hey Matt, excellent review for a movie I really really hate. I totally respect your review and rating:
"'Independence Day' isn't a perfect movie, not by a long shot. If you're so inclined, you could write a doctoral dissertation about the film and its faults, but you would be missing the point. 'Independence Day' is a crowd pleaser, it's not meant to be dissected and analyzed for its artistic merits, you're supposed to sit down and turn your brain off and be entertained for two hours."

My problem with this movie is, even though I have turned my brain off at the door I STILL hate it. Why can some movies where I turn my brain off at the door I can really really enjoy(Battleship, Mars Attacks!, Men In Black, etc) but other similar movies(Transformers, Fast and Furious, GIJOE, ID) make me want to throw a shoe at the TV?

If anything, wasn't this the first movie to show a blown up White House?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:23 AM

Damn! Looks like I will order the UHD version. I own the LD & Blu Ray ( 2008 ) already.....