'The Graduate (Criterion)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Default 'The Graduate (Criterion)' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed the Criterion release of 'The Graduate'. With five-star video, excellent audio, and plenty of extras, this is must-own release that renders any other home video version of 'The Graduate' obsolete.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2816...criterion.html
Old 02-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks David.
For years I had considered this movie overrated, but that opinion changed after repeat viewings. I never did buy the MGM release as there are so many other movies or other hobbies to feed. So it is a nice treat to see Criterion had access to a 4K master. This title will definitely be on my wish list to be filled either as an impulse buy or as one of a handful of titles at the next B&N sale. I might give it a slight amount of time, just enough to see if Criterion announces UHD BD and such, but I won't necessarily use that decision alone.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:51 PM

One of the best films in cinema history.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
For years I had considered this movie overrated, but that opinion changed after repeat viewings.
I have the MGM blu-ray and only watched it once. Thought it was grossly overrated myself. Will probably try to give it another go at some point this year. Definitely won't be getting the Criterion blu-ray anytime soon though. Around $40 (with the tax) on Amazon.ca at the moment. Yikes!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:20 PM

As Krawk said, the movie gets better with repeat viewings. When I was younger, I - of course - identified with Benjamin. Now that I'm older, I can relate Benjamin's behavior to that of my own grown sons (who are around his age now), and I can see some of the parents in myself. Fascinating. And the more I watch 'The Graduate' the more I appreciate what a masterfully directed film it is. The shot composition, editing, innovation, and storytelling technique are just superb. Nichols absolutely deserved the Best Director Oscar for this!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM

The Graduate is a great & iconic film.

It's interesting that when the movie came out, IIRC Dustin Hoffman was 30 & Anne Bancroft was only 36. So, she was only 6 years older than him - but she was playing a woman old enough to be his mother.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:32 PM

Just a reminder that 'Becoming Mike Nichols' airs on HBO tonight.