'Victoria' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2016, 12:31 PM

Default 'Victoria' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Victoria'. He hates to say it, but he says this is mostly just a 'gimmick' movie. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/28105/victoria.html
Old 03-13-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Shannon has reviewed 'Victoria'. He hates to say it, but he says this is mostly just a 'gimmick' movie. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/28105/victoria.html
I really enjoyed this movie. However I found it was more of a character study than a thriller. I enjoyed the slow buildup to the heist, the fallout, and the tension in the escape. Through the first hour I was constantly worried that something horrible was about to happen to Victoria, in the second I was just hoping for escape.

The dialogue itself I thought was quite natural and fit 5 drunk/high people with language barriers quite well. There are a lot of clues in the dialogue that help you understand the way the characters personalities change through the film, especially with Victoria.

I watched it on a 96" inch screen, the image quality was average. Black levels could have been better but I didn't see the macroblocking issues. Regardless, I wasn't expecting this to be even close to reference and I've seen worse from much bigger studios. The camera work itself was fantastic. I thought they did a fine job deciding when to come in close and when to back off from the characters.

I also had to remind myself it was a single take more than a few times.

I agree with everything said about the audio. It's horrible.