'Crimson Peak' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Default 'Crimson Peak' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed Guillermo del Toro's 'Crimson Peak'. He says this is "a visually rich, Gothic Romance that thrills and chills its way into the audience's heart." He plans to revisit the film soon, and often. The Blu-ray showcases exceptional video, immersive audio, and some good extras. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/27164/crimsonpeak.html
Old 02-04-2016, 02:58 PM

Chastain's performance and the production design are great, but I would say the overall movie was more "pretty good".

The third act could've been a lot better and should've had more dramatic weight. For me, the tone drifted into that Sam Raimi type of silly near the end, which felt out of place with the rest of the movie.

I'm glad I saw, and I enjoyed it, but I'm not in any big rush to revisit it.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:01 PM

I really want to see Crimson Peak, as well as many other films, but I'm going to wait on 2D releases and see how well this UHD-BR thing is going to take off before spending much more money on regular blu-rays. It took a lot of effort to not buy yesterday's amazon DOTD: The Fifth Element supreme cinema series, for the ATMOS mix alone, but The Fifth Element is one of the go-to home theater films since the laserdisc days. No doubt it'll be milked again on UHD.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 PM

Uh well I definitely disagree with this review. I'm a big Del Toro fan and I have to say this was his worst movie. While the visuals, like pretty much all of his films, were spectacular, the story was so freaking generic. Seeing the end coming a mile away and who's who and why, it was so easy to figure out and I knew everything from when things first went bad in the movie. For someone who doesnt usually watch these types of films, yeah they might be taken into the story and the mystery of it all but not a genre vet like myself. If anything I'll pick this up because it looks amazing and I'm sure the sound will be awesome too, but man, they could have done a WAY better job with the story on this one, it kind of bored me and was just insanely predictable
Old 02-05-2016, 01:15 AM

I was originally going to go see this because it looked like it might have been all right, but after Jahns' review of it we went to see Goosebumps instead. It was a fun movie. I still plan to check this out though, but I'm going to wait until it is on Netflix in a month or so.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Uh well I definitely disagree with this review. I'm a big Del Toro fan and I have to say this was his worst movie. While the visuals, like pretty much all of his films, were spectacular, the story was so freaking generic. Seeing the end coming a mile away and who's who and why, it was so easy to figure out and I knew everything from when things first went bad in the movie. For someone who doesnt usually watch these types of films, yeah they might be taken into the story and the mystery of it all but not a genre vet like myself. If anything I'll pick this up because it looks amazing and I'm sure the sound will be awesome too, but man, they could have done a WAY better job with the story on this one, it kind of bored me and was just insanely predictable
I don't think you have to be a genre vet to see where this movie was going from a mile away (gee, I wonder if there might be bodies in the locked pits in the off limits basement). It's only original point was making the horrifying ghosts actually be protectors. Other than it was just thudding predictability. And then there were the plot points that went no where like the phonograph cylinders. I went in looking forward to seeing this, but once it descended into just 2 psycho siblings I couldn't wait for it to be over.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Same here. Visually it was stunning, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I've enjoyed many of his other films.

But for all the predictability of the film, I have to say that review is awful for the amount it gives away. If I hadn't already seen the film I'd be mighty pissed that this review needlessly narrates its way through two-thirds of the film. I'll be much warier of reading reviews by this person in future if it's for something I haven't already seen.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_T View Post
Same here. Visually it was stunning, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I've enjoyed many of his other films.

But for all the predictability of the film, I have to say that review is awful for the amount it gives away. If I hadn't already seen the film I'd be mighty pissed that this review needlessly narrates its way through two-thirds of the film. I'll be much warier of reading reviews by this person in future if it's for something I haven't already seen.
Everyone is welcome to disagree with me as they see fit and I welcome an open discussion.

But all plot points discussed in this review take place in the first 30mins of the film and/or was available in the trailer, outside one paragraph which included a very specific (and underlined) spoiler warning.

Please read carefully before calling my work "needless" and "awful".
Old 02-08-2016, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
I don't think you have to be a genre vet to see where this movie was going from a mile away (gee, I wonder if there might be bodies in the locked pits in the off limits basement). It's only original point was making the horrifying ghosts actually be protectors. Other than it was just thudding predictability. And then there were the plot points that went no where like the phonograph cylinders. I went in looking forward to seeing this, but once it descended into just 2 psycho siblings I couldn't wait for it to be over.
Even that isn't all that original. It's another one of those, "murdered spirits seeking justice from beyond the grave" plot. Del Toro used that plot in The Devil's Backbone". Which was another one of his films that was highly predictable.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM

Hell, from what I have been told, the ghosts could have been removed from the equation and it wouldn't have effected the plot in any way.