'Jem and the Holograms' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 PM

Default 'Jem and the Holograms' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Jem and the Holograms'. He says this may be worth a rental. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2752...holograms.html
Old 02-01-2016, 05:36 PM

Hey Shannon, great review. I agree with you 100% and had the same exact reaction as you did.
This is it in the nutshell:
"But the most interesting aspect of 'Jem and the Holograms' doesn't have much to do with Jerrica's overnight stardom at all. It has to do with a little robot named 'Synergy' that her father (played by Barnaby Carpenter) left behind for her and a final message to his daughter. It's in those scenes that the movie is at its best, while almost every scene involving the girls in the band is full of clichés and expected twists, not the least of which is turning Erica Raymond into an unscrupulous villain."

Absolutely.

My friend got free tickets to this at a screening and we went keeping our mindset in check - We were NOT the target audience.

I hope my teenage nieces see it because I think the movie has a good message.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:31 PM

The problem with this is, it isnt anything like what anyone wanted for this film. The cartoon was over the top with the "regular" girls turning into super powered type rock stars, Jem had special earings and stuff, dont remember it all that well but this needed WAY more cheese and a better adaption. Since it played NOTHING like the original cartoon, NO ONE cared, literally it seems. Dont see many movies get pulled from the theater like ever but I can see why no one saw this and personally, I dont care about the message, this movie is far from what I want to see and I wont be bothering to support it, along with probably the rest of everybody
Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 AM

I'm the right age to remember the '80's cartoon, but clearly still not the target audience. I really had no intention of ever seeing this, but amazingly, this review kind of makes me want to see the movie.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 AM

I remember the cartoon show, it was pure 80's cheese.

I'll admit, I'm surprised the film went with a down-to-earth straightfaced approach instead of the jokey '21 Jump Street' type of mocking that seems to be all the rage these days.

I'm not going to rush out and watch this, but it might be the type of movie I would catch on an airplane.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I'm the right age to remember the '80's cartoon, but clearly still not the target audience. I really had no intention of ever seeing this, but amazingly, this review kind of makes me want to see the movie.
I think you will be surprised. I am probably your age. I will say this, GI Retaliation was complete garbage compared to this. Yes I just said it.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:25 AM

If I ever see this, I expect this to be in my top 10 worst movies of 2015 list. Hell, it is probably just as bad as Fant4stic and Poltergeist.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I think you will be surprised. I am probably your age. I will say this, GI Retaliation was complete garbage compared to this. Yes I just said it.
Retaliation was great and what a GI Joe movie should have been from the get go, if you would have said the first GI Joe film, then yeah, I would agree because there is NO WAY the 2nd GI Joe is worse than the first