Do Reviews sway your buying decisions? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Do Reviews sway your buying decisions?

Say for instance you were a big Rocky fan. You go to your local best buy and see a copy the first Rocky on BD. However, you read the review on this site that said it wasnt any good. Would you still pick it up, or would you avoid it because of the bad review? If you found any movie you found good on DVD, would you pick up the BD version, or just keep watching SD DVD?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

If I'm not sure about a title I'll rent it first. If I am a fan of a title I will buy it no matter what. I don't agree with most reviews on this site.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM

Sure,if i have a decent dvd version of something and i read that the pq sucks on the hd i won't buy it.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 PM

same thing happened to me with Rocky, im just waitng for the whole collection to be relased thats why,

reviews sometimes do matter, but sometimes i just dont give a crap, i got Mystery Men and i was satisfied, the PQ deserved a 4.

this is finally a good thread Vesh , keep it up
Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 PM

I care more about the words I read about the details than I do the score the reviewer gives it, if that makes sense. Same with video games, I don't care if it got a __/10, I just want to read about details of the game as a guide.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh Drown View Post
Say for instance you were a big Rocky fan. You go to your local best buy and see a copy the first Rocky on BD. However, you read the review on this site that said it wasnt any good. Would you still pick it up, or would you avoid it because of the bad review? If you found any movie you found good on DVD, would you pick up the BD version, or just keep watching SD DVD?
That depends. Are you talking about the review's assessment of the movie, or its representation on disc?

If I'm already acquainted with the movie, I'll most likely ignore a review's assessment of it if it disagrees with my own. I'll depend upon reviews, though, if I haven't seen the movie myself, and either way I'll give a lot of consideration to a review's description of the technical merits of the disc and the attractiveness of the extras.

(Mind you, I'm not actually getting HD discs at all yet, but this all holds true for any video format I've gotten, and should in the future, so...)
Old 08-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
I care more about the words I read about the details than I do the score the reviewer gives it, if that makes sense. Same with video games, I don't care if it got a __/10, I just want to read about details of the game as a guide.
I do the same. Now the number makes a little bit of difference because if something scores so terribly, I may not even read the review or if something I didn't care about at all scores high, it may make me read about it, but for the most part, I go more by the actual review than the score.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:28 AM

It influences whether I get the SD DVD or the Blu-ray DVD. Some movies don't benefit that much from the higher picture and audio quality, and I can't justify busting $25-30 on a romantic comedy when the SD DVD offers pretty much the same entertainment value for half the price. I especially shy away from the Blu-ray when the title is a movie that doesn't benefit from the better audio and receives a mediocre picture quality review.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 AM

95% of the time reviews do not have an impact on my buying decisions, but i like reading reviews, especially ones ur goign to buy are getting great reviews.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 AM

I read many different reviews, consider word of mouth, and culminate them as a guide.