Why I am disappointed with the treatment of Blu rays! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-13-2015, 07:59 AM

Default Why I am disappointed with the treatment of Blu rays!

Ok, I was late getting into this whole HD business, I didn't start buying blu rays until very late but when I did I was and to still to this day disapointed with the treatment of movies of blu ray!

Here are my reasons.

1. Cover art: Not only have I seen the traditional poster images of movies change, but also the font of the titles! Call me a purist but some of these old poster vhs/dvd covers for films are classics, they are almost a work of art, why can't they be just retained for the blu ray covers. Movies like the original Star Wars, James Bond series, and other older movies have cover arts that are like their signature. On the fugitive special edition they not only changed the cover art, they changed the entire font of the title which didn't even suite the movie. The Bond blu rays as well as others keep getting their sleeve arts changed again and again and it's frustrating.

2. Title Menus: This is my 2nd biggest problem with blu rays. Why is it on DVD's they have exciting animated intro menus, yet when you insert a Blu ray you are faced with a still 2d image with the menu buttons! Yet Blu rays have far more space than DVD's, so doesn't that mean more capacity to do something a little more exciting? I'm not saying go over the top or nothing like that, but I've seen innovative title menus on DVD's that are just awesome, it's the reason I own them. At least port them over to their Blu ray versions. Oh and need I mention Universal using the same menu template for all their Blu rays! Lazy or what! It's just unbelievable. Even the special editions and anniversary editions just have a flat image with the menu buttons, c'mon lets have a little imagination put into them.

3. By far my biggest no.1 problem is the remastering of the films! A lot of blu rays are a straight dvd transfers, and not even cleaned up. Yes a lot of them are today like the James Bond movies, Star Wars movies and we are even seeing 4k masters like Robocop and Terminator which look great. But these are just far and few between. Oh and I hate the use of filtering, LOTR fellowship of the ring has a green filter, Aliens has a blu filter as well as movies like the Gladiator remaster has a blue filter as well. A message to the studios, stop re-filtering movies on Blu rays! It's annoying as hell. Stop changing colour schemes like what's been done on the Superman movies and other movies and please please stop ruining the audio tracks by adding extra sounds that are not on the original! I don't mind cleaning up the audio, but adding stuff that wasn't there before? C'mon get a grip!

4. Bookmarking: Yes a lot of Blu rays still don't have bookmarking in place, some do, but not all, please fix this.

5. Re-releases: How many times are we seeing re-releases of movies with anniversary editions, diamond de lux editions, special editions only to find that the new version is not much different from the predecessor? The new Gladiator anniversary edition is a duplicate of the original remaster, yes its a cash crab! if you are going to re-release a movie again and again then give us a reason to double dip. Give us a 4k master, extra features, anything!

6. Packaging: Who else hates the design of the standard Blu ray cases? Is it really necessary for it to be overpowering Blue, with Blu Ray written all over it? Does it have to scream 'Blu ray!' DVD's were perfect, a small logo on the spine sufficed, it didn't ruin the design of the cover art. Further to that I am annoyed at the disc trays inside, how many Blu ray cases have trays overlapping each other, it's so cheap you can tell they are trying to save money. When DVD's first came out, a series would have its own dvd case, like the original Rocky movies, Police Academy and many others each part of the series would have its own nicely designed cover art and case, none of this cramming so many discs in as smallest package as possible business.

Ok I think that's the end of my rant I just had to get all this off my chest somewhere and I hope I found the right place. What do you all think? Am I alone here or do you all feel the same?
Old 12-13-2015, 08:26 AM

I feel the same.
Plus every bluray should have the resume feature turned on.
It seems to me, DVDs were superior in many ways to Blurays, that blurays are inferior in capabilities.
If only they kept all the DVDs capabilities on blurays, with 1080p pic and lossless sound, would have been awesome.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:12 PM

Acehit,

1,2,5 & 6 are your personal problems; I don't have those. I agree with 3 and to a lesser degree with 4. I see your point with the BD's being released with sub par pictures. Some companies do it more than others though. It IS understandable that the majors don't want to spend a $1 Mio each for a movie that might sell 20.000 copies. Makes no sense and we all don't want to see Sony, Paramount, Warner etc. go bankrupt, because they spend every dime they have on re-scanning and remastering old movies.
I own by now around 1,400 BD's and I have to say, if you chose carefully and read the right websites (like this one) BEFORE you buy a BD, you should only end up with a handful of those disks with mediocre to bad picture quality.
cheers
Old 12-13-2015, 06:04 PM

2. I wish there was consistency with the menus. There should be a standard menu system for all BD's, which would make it very easy to navigate. I doubt that would happen though. It never happened with DVD. And the menu should appear immediately. I shouldn't be forced to skip through 10 minutes pf previews on something I own.

3. Any Blu-Ray release should be worthy of a high-def release. Unfortunately, not every studio takes this seriously. It's best to wait for a review, especially if the film is older and not expected to sell in huge quantities.

4. Bookmarking should be automatic when play is stopped or the player is turned off. DVDs are far superior on that issue, as well as with startup time.

5. I'm getting a little sick of the re-releases, especially if the re-release is because the original release had poor PQ. Get it right the first time.

I don't really care about 1 & 6.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:07 PM

Most of those seem like personal problems that have no affect on the actual video/audio of the BDs. What I care about is the final product not the aesthetics. If I want a fancy packaging, I'll go with the Japanese BDs especially for anime.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:24 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acehit View Post
Ok, I was late getting into this whole HD business, I didn't start buying blu rays until very late but when I did I was and to still to this day disapointed with the treatment of movies of blu ray!

Here are my reasons.

1. Cover art: Not only have I seen the traditional poster images of movies change, but also the font of the titles! Call me a purist but some of these old poster vhs/dvd covers for films are classics

Hi Acehit and welcome to the forums. I feel for you on many of your points. I feel the same way about much of them.

I have many the same issues. Often times I will pay more for a UK import because the USA cover art bothers me so much on the USA version. Look at a cheesy movie like Sucker Punch.

Lame USA cover version:
http://www.amazon.com/Sucker-Punch-B...dp/B004EPYZUI/

Correct to Movie Poster UK Version (with the annoying rating logo)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sucker-Punch...dp/B006GAP79M/

Imdb Listing, which shows the movie poster
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978764/

Oh, and want to be driven absolutely bonkers? Search for my thread about "f'ugly covers" for some really f'ugly cover arts, and look for "Mondo X Steelbooks" as well :doh2:

Quote:
2. Title Menus: This is my 2nd biggest problem with blu rays. Why is it on DVD's they have exciting animated intro menus, yet when you insert a Blu ray you are faced with a still 2d image with the menu buttons!
Not as huge a deal to me, but I have seen many blus with animated menus. If anything, I would have to say half of my movies have animated menus. Many of the old catalog releases might be lazy menus, I agree. They probably feel we're lucky to even have the movie. I am really more annoyed at how many trailers they stick in front of the menu, some movies of which you cannot skip them, but rather have to fast forward each one. What happened to simpler times, such as Disney Dvd's fastplay option which allowed you to simply press 'menu' on the remote - on most BDs this is a forbidden operation.

Quote:
3. By far my biggest no.1 problem is the remastering of the films! A lot of blu rays are a straight dvd transfers, and not even cleaned up. Yes a lot of them are today like the James Bond movies, Star Wars movies and we are even seeing 4k masters like Robocop and Terminator which look great. But these are just far and few between. Oh and I hate the use of filtering, LOTR fellowship of the ring has a green filter, Aliens has a blu filter as well as movies like the Gladiator remaster has a blue filter as well.
Yeah the filters are ugly. Gladiator's first release was an absolute disaster with DNR and Edge Enhancement. Universal & Paramount were forced to offer a disc replacement program for the first release. The lack of effort on making a new master is part lazy and part financial. Perhaps if they treated a movie right with a new master, word of mouth would spread to people buying it and offsetting the financial argument.

Quote:
4. Bookmarking: Yes a lot of Blu rays still don't have bookmarking in place, some do, but not all, please fix this.
More so a feature of the players. But while on the subject, why is it current gen players seem to have no display on them unless you spend $150+. Last gen players, even a $60 player had a display. New ones have a simple power led and that's it. Technology progression says these should be cheaper to produce, so why lessen the features.

Quote:
5. Re-releases: How many times are we seeing re-releases of movies with anniversary editions, diamond de lux editions, special editions only to find that the new version is not much different from the predecessor? The new Gladiator anniversary edition is a duplicate of the original remaster, yes its a cash crab! if you are going to re-release a movie again and again then give us a reason to double dip. Give us a 4k master, extra features, anything!
Sigh - I sound like a broken record myself when I hear myself saying this!

Quote:
6. Packaging: Who else hates the design of the standard Blu ray cases? Is it really necessary for it to be overpowering Blue, with Blu Ray written all over it? Does it have to scream 'Blu ray!' DVD's were perfect, a small logo on the spine sufficed, it didn't ruin the design of the cover art. Further to that I am annoyed at the disc trays inside, how many Blu ray cases have trays overlapping each other, it's so cheap you can tell they are trying to save money. When DVD's first came out, a series would have its own dvd case, like the original Rocky movies, Police Academy and many others each part of the series would have its own nicely designed cover art and case, none of this cramming so many discs in as smallest package as possible business.
Had to leave this quote 100% intact. This is a one-two punch here. ONE - yes it is annoying. If you have identical cover arts on the blu ray and dvd versions, the blu ray version is often zoomed in and cropped so that it can say Blu-Ray in big letters with the stripe on the top. This is being done because TWO believe it or not, you still have consumers that buy these (BDs) and then return them to retailers because they "did not realize it was a blu ray and do not have a blu ray player." Really? Blu ray has been out HOW LONG, the case is a different size and color, has big lettering all over it telling you it's Blu Ray and you did not have any idea it was a Blu Ray? :magnifingglass: And let me ask you, how big is your tv? A 65 inch. Really, you're playing crappy dvds on a 65 inch? Oh, I can't afford a Blu Ray player. You could not afford to spend $25 last year on Black Friday for a BD player, or $35 this year for a nicer one, might I ask what you spent on your tv? (bare minimum $500 for said tv)

On a side note - anyone seeing this week's Ant Man release, the regular blu ray is in a black case, the dvd is in a bluish case, and the 3d in a red case. How many consumers will like this one?
Old 12-14-2015, 02:16 AM

My only gripe is that there isn't as much good support for collectible packaging here in the United States as there is in countries like England, France, Italy, The Czech Republic, China, Japan, and Korea. I wish there was a company in the U.S. willing to do what companies like Plain Archive, Kimchi, HD Zeta, etc. do which is produce quality collectible packages for select films so that U.S. fans don't have to pay crazy shipping costs to import.

We do have Criterion Collection here, which produces some good sets as far as "behind the scenes" type materials go, but their packaging generally isn't anything special.

It would be a niche market, for sure, but those companies in other countries have found a lot of success in producing higher end Steelbook packages that fans of those films have really loved.

Well, at least we're starting to see more Mondo Steelbook releases in the U.S., but every time I see some budget, low end Steelbook or Metal Pak release in Best Buy with no inside art and the cheapest Steelbook productions in Scanavo's line for $9.99-14.99, it makes me cringe.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 AM

Cover art doesn't bother me, since my blu-rays are displayed sideways, with only the titles showing. Heck, if they wanted to improve the cases, they could make them more slim, half the size, so that I could fit double the amount of movies on my shelves. That's something you couldn't really do with VHS or Beta, but with disc-based media, no problem.

I agree about releasing the same stuff over and over again. How many times are they going to master and remaster T-2 before they realize the video just isn't going to look any better? I love T2, as one of my favorite films, but I'm still waiting for Hell Night on blu. Disney is one of the worst offenders. Really, they're going to release Old Yeller, Pollyanna, Herbie, and others this late in blu-ray's life? It'll probably be the end of UHD-BR's life before they release the less popular Disney titles on BR, and I woudn't be surprised if there is stuff on VHS that didn't ever get released on DVD --=OR=-- BR.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Heck, if they wanted to improve the cases, they could make them more slim, half the size, so that I could fit double the amount of movies on my shelves. That's something you couldn't really do with VHS or Beta, but with disc-based media, no problem.
I like that idea. I could conceivably double the storage on my shelves. Although it might be hard to read the title on the spine.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
I like that idea. I could conceivably double the storage on my shelves. Although it might be hard to read the title on the spine.
Thanks for welcoming me, and always interested to hear other peoples views. Something else I only just remembered today was that some Blu rays don't have the supplementary features of their dvd predecessors completely ported over as some of the reviews on this website clearly state. I think the first Ghostbusters blu ray release was bare bones as a lot of releases are, but further to that a lot of films are out as directors cuts, extended cuts on dvd and yet their blu ray versions are cut. Commando only recently came out on extended cut blu ray, but how long did we have to wait for that, it's been out uncut on dvd for a long time. Conan the barbarian 1982 uncut still hasn't seen the light of day on high-def, you can only see it properly on dvd along with it's score intact.