'Shadows and Fog' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Default 'Shadows and Fog' - High-Def Digest Review

Lush photography, stark atmosphere, eccentric characters, and Woody Allen's trademark wit are on full display in 'Shadows and Fog'. Unfortunately, the film never quite comes together. David Krauss tells us why the film is still worth a look...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2466...owsandfog.html
Old 12-07-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Lush photography, stark atmosphere, eccentric characters, and Woody Allen's trademark wit are on full display in 'Shadows and Fog'. Unfortunately, the film never quite comes together. David Krauss tells us why the film is still worth a look...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2466...owsandfog.html
Mike, I'm curious what you, our resident Woody Allen fanatic, think of this one.

I've never seen it. My wife often recounts the story of going to see this in the theater. She was pretty big into Woody at the time, but absolutely hated the movie. She says that the film print burned up in the projector halfway through, and that was more entertaining for her than the movie itself.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Your wife wasn't the only who hated it. It supposedly turned up on Gene Siskel's worst movies of the year list. But I never agreed much with Siskel.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Your wife wasn't the only who hated it. It supposedly turned up on Gene Siskel's worst movies of the year list. But I never agreed much with Siskel.
I generally prefer the movies where Woody expresses his own unique voice, rather than emulating some other filmmaker. His Bergman riffs don't do a lot for me. I've always been curious about this, though.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Mike, I'm curious what you, our resident Woody Allen fanatic, think of this one.

I've never seen it. My wife often recounts the story of going to see this in the theater. She was pretty big into Woody at the time, but absolutely hated the movie. She says that the film print burned up in the projector halfway through, and that was more entertaining for her than the movie itself.
I actually like it quite a bit. It's one of the many Allen movies that I enjoy a little bit more each time I watch it. I remember not being wild about it the first time I saw it, but if you get yourself in the right mindset, and watch it late at night, maybe by yourself, you can sort of get the feeling he was going for (Then again, at heart I'm just a little nebbish like Kleinman, running around in the dark, scared for my life!).

I think it fits in there with Stardust Memories and A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, really different feel, but if you go with it, there's lot of good Allen humor and insight to be found. Even when he's emulating other filmmakers, the final product is always [fill in the blank] a la Allen.

It sure as hell beats his two most recent movies.