'Village of the Damned: Collector's Edition' is coming in 2016 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-02-2015, 12:37 PM

Default 'Village of the Damned: Collector's Edition' is coming in 2016

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2844...rsedition.html
Old 12-02-2015, 07:03 PM

Never seen this. How does it fair compared to Carpenter's other stuff?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:11 PM

Love this movie, will pick up
Old 12-02-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Never seen this. How does it fair compared to Carpenter's other stuff?
It was OK. I will definitely get this though. It's not as good as The Thing or Escape From New York, but it's better than Prince of Darkness or Ghosts of Mars. Just to see Christopher Reeve in a Carpenter film is well worth getting it.

If I had to grade them,
The Thing: 5 stars
Escape From New York: 4 stars
Village of the Damned: 3 stars
Prince of Darkness: 2 stars
Ghosts of Mars: 1 star
Old 12-02-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
It was OK. I will definitely get this though. It's not as good as The Thing or Escape From New York, but it's better than Prince of Darkness or Ghosts of Mars. Just to see Christopher Reeve in a Carpenter film is well worth getting it.

If I had to grade them,
The Thing: 5 stars
Escape From New York: 4 stars
Village of the Damned: 3 stars
Prince of Darkness: 2 stars
Ghosts of Mars: 1 star
Bite your tongue man Prince of Darkness was a great horror flick and IMO better than this movie. I do like this movie and it's not even close to the greatness of Escape from NY and The Thing.

Will definitely be picking this up. Reeve is awesome in it
Old 12-03-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Bite your tongue man Prince of Darkness was a great horror flick and IMO better than this movie. I do like this movie and it's not even close to the greatness of Escape from NY and The Thing.

Will definitely be picking this up. Reeve is awesome in it
I completely agree with you. As a lifelong Carpenter fan, I put Prince of Darkness, The Thing, Escape From New York, Halloween, Christine, They live, The Fog and Big Trouble in the " A " category of Carpenter films. I would place Prince squarely in my top 5 all time. Eerie movie, great music, cool topic which had a fresh take to demon/satan movies.

Escape From Los Angeles, Starman, Assault on Precinct 13, Vampires, In the Mouth of Madness, Village of the Damned I consider very good movies, just not as great as the above list.

Memoirs and Ghosts of Mars below the rest. Although I still enjoy Ghost's of Mars because of the " feel " it has even though its a recycled theme. The music has some balls which is a plus.

The Ward is without a doubt the worst, watched it one time, will not watch it again.

Body bags was a flick that I love, even though it was a team effort.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:52 AM

Nah, Ghosts of Mars is easily the worst. At least The Ward felt like it was a Carpenter film compared to that one.

Anyway, of the Carpenter movies I have seen, my rankings go:

The Thing or Halloween (not sure which I like more)
Escape from NY
They Live
The Fog
Assault on P13
Big Trouble in Little China
In the Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Christine
Vampires
Dark Star
Escape from LA
Cigarette Burns
The Ward
Ghosts of Mars
Old 12-03-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner71 View Post
I completely agree with you. As a lifelong Carpenter fan, I put Prince of Darkness, The Thing, Escape From New York, Halloween, Christine, They live, The Fog and Big Trouble in the " A " category of Carpenter films. I would place Prince squarely in my top 5 all time. Eerie movie, great music, cool topic which had a fresh take to demon/satan movies.

Escape From Los Angeles, Starman, Assault on Precinct 13, Vampires, In the Mouth of Madness, Village of the Damned I consider very good movies, just not as great as the above list.

Memoirs and Ghosts of Mars below the rest. Although I still enjoy Ghost's of Mars because of the " feel " it has even though its a recycled theme. The music has some balls which is a plus.

The Ward is without a doubt the worst, watched it one time, will not watch it again.

Body bags was a flick that I love, even though it was a team effort.
Stoner knows what I'm talking about. I agree exactly with your rankings.
Kain's is similar.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 AM

I love of a lot of Carpenter's 70s and 80s stuff. Picking a favourite is hard because he's very versatile and many of his movies have very different types of appeal that work for me in different ways.

I haven't seen most of his stuff from the 90s onwards. I plan to maybe do a catch-up blitz in which I rent 'In The Mouth of Madness', 'Village of the Damned', 'Ghosts of Mars', 'Vampires', and the 'The Ward'.

And those of you who haven't picked up his 'Lost Themes' album that he put out a few years ago, I think it's really good music.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:40 AM

BTW, for those of you that like classic Carpenter, check out a recent horror movie called It Follows. It was quite good and I feel like it was close to an 80s Carpenter film.