'American Ultra' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Attebery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,716
Default 'American Ultra' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck has reviewed 'American Ultra'. He says this wasn't half bad, but it wasn't great either. This is worth a look. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2527...icanultra.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,814
Default

Aaron. Nice review! Question: has your new AVR even gotten the DTS:X firmware upgrade yet? I'm in the middle of evaluating the Denon X6200W and we have not gotten it. The Yamaha I had before this also did not receive the DTS:X upgrade before I had to send it back.

Does anyone have an AVR with active DTS:X or DTS:NeuroX running?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2015, 01:10 PM
paaron46's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Aaron. Nice review! Question: has your new AVR even gotten the DTS:X firmware upgrade yet? I'm in the middle of evaluating the Denon X6200W and we have not gotten it. The Yamaha I had before this also did not receive the DTS:X upgrade before I had to send it back.

Does anyone have an AVR with active DTS:X or DTS:NeuroX running?

Cheers.
No. As far as I know Marantz has not sent out the new update.
__________________
Become a FAN of The Reel Place!

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Aaron. Nice review! Question: has your new AVR even gotten the DTS:X firmware upgrade yet? I'm in the middle of evaluating the Denon X6200W and we have not gotten it. The Yamaha I had before this also did not receive the DTS:X upgrade before I had to send it back.

Does anyone have an AVR with active DTS:X or DTS:NeuroX running?

Cheers.
The last I heard, the DTS:X upgrade had been pushed back to next year. The code isn't ready yet.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The last I heard, the DTS:X upgrade had been pushed back to next year. The code isn't ready yet.
Ugh. What a botched launch.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 121
Default Smelly bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Ugh. What a botched launch.
Yes. DTS really shit the bed with DTS: X! In the process of doing so, they've lost any hope of overtaking Atmos. No firmware, and TWO titles, a-year-and-a-half after Atmos launched... Pitiful!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
Yes. DTS really shit the bed with DTS: X! In the process of doing so, they've lost any hope of overtaking Atmos. No firmware, and TWO titles, a-year-and-a-half after Atmos launched... Pitiful!
I personally care less about a format competition than the disheartening notion that there are some wonderful theatrical Atmos mixes not trickling down to Blu-ray because some studios don't use TrueHD [and instead choose DTS-HD MA]. Stuff like this always hurts the fans and enthusiasts.

Last edited by Palmer; 12-04-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2015, 12:41 PM
malakai's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I personally care less about a format competition than the disheartening notion that there are some wonderful theatrical Atmos mixes not trickling down to Blu-ray because some studios don't use TrueHD. Stuff like this always hurts the fans and enthusiasts.
ATMOS can also be used on DD+, as noted in the German release of San Andreas, on the English language option.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
ATMOS can also be used on DD+, as noted in the German release of San Andreas, on the English language option.
Yes, I'm aware. DD+ is also how VUDU is implementing Atmos for its UHD titles. I was referring to the divide between studios that use DTS codecs and those that utilize Dolby.

Last edited by Palmer; 12-04-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Plissken99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,521
Default

Indeed my high end Yamaha preamp is DTS:X capable, just waiting on firmware for it, they say Q1 of 2016. Really is a pretty sad launch lol. I got to hear a brief demo of it at Cedia, sounded every bit as good at Atmos, maybe better, hard to say with different material.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"American Pie", "American Pie 2" and "American Wedding" are coming March 13 Super-VHS Blu-ray Software General Discussion 14 03-07-2012 04:21 PM
'American Werewolf in London' -- High-Def Digest review PeterB HD DVD Software General Discussion 15 08-04-2010 07:27 PM
'American Psycho' - High-Def Digest Review jed Blu-ray Software General Discussion 59 11-27-2009 01:22 PM
'Tony Bennett: An American Classic' - High-Def Digest Review jed Blu-ray Software General Discussion 6 05-25-2009 02:56 PM
'American Me' - High-Def Digest review jed HD DVD Software General Discussion 10 05-13-2009 06:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off