'American Ultra' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Default 'American Ultra' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck has reviewed 'American Ultra'. He says this wasn't half bad, but it wasn't great either. This is worth a look. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2527...icanultra.html
Old 12-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Aaron. Nice review! Question: has your new AVR even gotten the DTS:X firmware upgrade yet? I'm in the middle of evaluating the Denon X6200W and we have not gotten it. The Yamaha I had before this also did not receive the DTS:X upgrade before I had to send it back.

Does anyone have an AVR with active DTS:X or DTS:NeuroX running?

Cheers.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Aaron. Nice review! Question: has your new AVR even gotten the DTS:X firmware upgrade yet? I'm in the middle of evaluating the Denon X6200W and we have not gotten it. The Yamaha I had before this also did not receive the DTS:X upgrade before I had to send it back.

Cheers.
No. As far as I know Marantz has not sent out the new update.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 12-02-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Cheers.
The last I heard, the DTS:X upgrade had been pushed back to next year. The code isn't ready yet.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The last I heard, the DTS:X upgrade had been pushed back to next year. The code isn't ready yet.
Ugh. What a botched launch.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 PM

Default Smelly bed

Quote:
Ugh. What a botched launch.
Yes. DTS really shit the bed with DTS: X! In the process of doing so, they've lost any hope of overtaking Atmos. No firmware, and TWO titles, a-year-and-a-half after Atmos launched... Pitiful!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
Yes. DTS really shit the bed with DTS: X! In the process of doing so, they've lost any hope of overtaking Atmos. No firmware, and TWO titles, a-year-and-a-half after Atmos launched... Pitiful!
I personally care less about a format competition than the disheartening notion that there are some wonderful theatrical Atmos mixes not trickling down to Blu-ray because some studios don't use TrueHD [and instead choose DTS-HD MA]. Stuff like this always hurts the fans and enthusiasts.

Last edited by Palmer; 12-04-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-04-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I personally care less about a format competition than the disheartening notion that there are some wonderful theatrical Atmos mixes not trickling down to Blu-ray because some studios don't use TrueHD. Stuff like this always hurts the fans and enthusiasts.
ATMOS can also be used on DD+, as noted in the German release of San Andreas, on the English language option.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
ATMOS can also be used on DD+, as noted in the German release of San Andreas, on the English language option.
Yes, I'm aware. DD+ is also how VUDU is implementing Atmos for its UHD titles. I was referring to the divide between studios that use DTS codecs and those that utilize Dolby.

Last edited by Palmer; 12-04-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:59 PM

Indeed my high end Yamaha preamp is DTS:X capable, just waiting on firmware for it, they say Q1 of 2016. Really is a pretty sad launch lol. I got to hear a brief demo of it at Cedia, sounded every bit as good at Atmos, maybe better, hard to say with different material.