'Minions' and 'Minions - 3D' - High-Def Digest Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-30-2015, 03:52 PM

Default 'Minions' and 'Minions - 3D' - High-Def Digest Reviews

E has reviewed 'Minions' and 'Minions - 3D'. Here's what he thought...

2D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/23316/minions.html

3D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/26634/minions3d.html
Old 11-30-2015, 06:16 PM

E, are you saying that the Atmos soundtrack is actually worse than listening in TrueHD 7.1, or that the Atmos aspects of the soundtrack don't add much to the 7.1 mix?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouch24 View Post
E, are you saying that the Atmos soundtrack is actually worse than listening in TrueHD 7.1, or that the Atmos aspects of the soundtrack don't add much to the 7.1 mix?
He's rating the two tracks entirely separately. He's not saying that the Atmos track is worse than the TrueHD. He's stating that the Atmos track is a 3.5, when compared to all other Atmos tracks. The TrueHD track is a 5, when compared to all other TrueHD tracks.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 PM

I was confused by this statement, "In 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, however, things improve dramatically".
Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 PM

THis movie was a fun enjoyable ride that is a one time watch.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM

Sorry if there is any confusion in the audio portion -- I was trying to be as clear as possible -- but Drew is correct that I'm grading both tracks separately. The Atmos track just doesn't offer much compared to other releases, even 'Man from UNCLE,' while the 7.1 TrueHD track, on its own, for those not Atmos equipped, offer a fun, satisfying experience.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 12-01-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
THis movie was a fun enjoyable ride that is a one time watch.
I agree. Some scenes seemed to drag but definitely a one timer for me as well.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:18 PM

Hello Professor

I'll encourage you to revisit this title when you have access to a Home ATMOS setup that is 9.1.4, or 9.1.6. Receivers with this capability will likely be more accessible next year.

The real beauty of this ATMOS mix is the sonic width of the screen channels that cannot be accurately accessed without LCR + stereo WIDE channels set up.

-riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
Sorry if there is any confusion in the audio portion -- I was trying to be as clear as possible -- but Drew is correct that I'm grading both tracks separately. The Atmos track just doesn't offer much compared to other releases, even 'Man from UNCLE,' while the 7.1 TrueHD track, on its own, for those not Atmos equipped, offer a fun, satisfying experience.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizman View Post
Hello Professor

I'll encourage you to revisit this title when you have access to a Home ATMOS setup that is 9.1.4, or 9.1.6. Receivers with this capability will likely be more accessible next year.

The real beauty of this ATMOS mix is the sonic width of the screen channels that cannot be accurately accessed without LCR + stereo WIDE channels set up.

-riz
The problem with this Atmos track isn't the front soundstage. As E. stated, the front soundstage is terrific. The problem with this Atmos mix is the fact that it offers little-to-no overhead immersion. 9._._ (Fill those in with any number you like) isn't going to change that. 9._._ isn't going to suddenly offer overhead immersion.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
The problem with this Atmos track isn't the front soundstage. As E. stated, the front soundstage is terrific. The problem with this Atmos mix is the fact that it offers little-to-no overhead immersion. 9._._ (Fill those in with any number you like) isn't going to change that. 9._._ isn't going to suddenly offer overhead immersion.
Hi Drew

You're not wrong. I'm just hoping that as HomeATMOS becomes more popular, the criteria for "good ATMOS mixes" vs "mediocre ATMOS mixes" goes beyond use of the ceiling channels. I hope people (critics and beyond) can appreciate the other creative attributes and benefits that ATMOS has to offer.

It's my opinion that adding ATMOS LR WIDE channels to a home setup is a far greater step forward than adding any number of ceiling channels. The general use of the WIDE LR channels will far exceed the use of the ceiling channels, and all for the better of the program material.

I've spent a lot of time mixing natively in ATMOS for theatrical venues as well as translating those theatrical mixes for playback in the home format. After much thought and hard work, I forecast that a home user (audiophile or not) that upgrades from 7.1 to 7.1.4 will not be as satisfied with their upgrade as they would if they upgraded from 7.1 to 9.1.0. Does that make sense?

My opinion, of course.

Best,

Gary