Redbox Renters Beware: Mystery of the Missing Audio Track (also applies to Netflix) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Banned

Default Redbox Renters Beware: Mystery of the Missing Audio Track (also applies to Netflix)

Sound and Vision magazine wrote an article about some rental Blu-ray discs that are missing lossless audio tracks and bonus features.

I realize many people already know about this, however it is an interesting article.

Redbox Renters Beware: Mystery of the Missing Audio Track
Old 11-25-2015, 11:37 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

This is largely a Lionsgate issue. The same assholes that copy protect their movies so badly you get audio dropouts or bitstream bombs at least once during playback, which, ironically the fix is to copy the disc to a hard drive or flash drive.
They also produce different discs for different retailers, yep, you guessed it, to throw off piracy. So you have typically 5 different masters for the same exact movie.
These actions are the reason their production costs are higher than other studios, so when they cry foul and stop producing Little House on the Prairie discs, the cost factor is there, requiring much more sales to offset it.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Banned

On the OPPO BDP-103D with the latest firmware, I have not had any playback problems at all. Maybe the issue effects certain brands and models of Blu-ray players.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:39 PM

They are also encoded poorly on their rental discs. I rented the second movie of the Hunger Games at Redbox once, and the video was absolute crap. There was a lot of color banding, some pixalation, blurry picture, and poor color. At look at the bitrates which were around 11-20 Mbps, now that's just bad. It pretty much look like I was watching the DVD version, a very good DVD but still DVD quality and not actual BD quality.

I'm fine with lossy audio, but when you meddle with the video on the Rental disc, that crosses the line. I never had problems with other studios on their rentals since it's the same disc as the retail version or just re-label.

Also who rents movies for their bonus features?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:03 AM

The retail purchased version was no better. Bitrates as you said in the 11-20 Mbps. I was very disappointed in the picture quality.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
On the OPPO BDP-103D with the latest firmware, I have not had any playback problems at all. Maybe the issue effects certain brands and models of Blu-ray players.
I have an Oppo 103D, A Samsung BDP-C6500, Samsung BDP-1500, LG BD540 and a Pioneer PC Drive. Perhaps you are not recognizing the momentary audio dropouts. I cannot possibly have every Lionsgate discs purchased be bad.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:31 AM
Banned

It might be a incompatibility issue with you’re A/V receiver when bitstreaming. Try LPCM internal decoding in the OPPO BDP-103D to see if the problem goes away. Over the past year when watching dozens of Lionsgate releases, there was no audio drop out in any of the movies that I have seen while bitstreaming to a Pioneer Elite A/V receiver.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
It might be a incompatibility issue with you’re A/V receiver when bitstreaming. Try LPCM internal decoding in the OPPO BDP-103D to see if the problem goes away. Over the past year when watching dozens of Lionsgate releases, there was no audio drop out in any of the movies that I have seen while bitstreaming to a Pioneer Elite A/V receiver.
Yeah I thought this too, so I did try internal decoding instead and got the same result. Most other studios/titles work flawlessly. You can't blame the receiver (a Denon 988) because as I say, other titles play with no issues.
The only way to make the Lionsgate release work flawlessly is to make an mkv of it and play it that way.
When you see the mapping (playback order) of a Lionsgate disc it becomes all too clear as to why the issue is there. The player is constantly seeking to play the movie in one piece. Sort of like seamless branching not being so seamless.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Banned

Are the audio drop outs noticeable? I mean is someone talking on the Blu-ray and then you lose a syllable?

For some reason I have not had this problem. I am using a different A/V receiver. I am not blaming your Denon, but maybe for some reason its not compatible with Lionsgate titles.

You could email OPPO Digital INC to see if they have a solution. Normally sending LPCM to the A/V receiver solves the issue.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Are the audio drop outs noticeable? I mean is someone talking on the Blu-ray and then you lose a syllable?

For some reason I have not had this problem. I am using a different A/V receiver. I am not blaming your Denon, but maybe for some reason its not compatible with Lionsgate titles.
It is best described as a bad seamless branch. Typically when it happens, you might hear a scene where there is traffic on a road, then a momentary silent blip, then resuming of the scene. Yeah, if there were someone talking, it would be brief enough to lose a syllable. Sometimes during particularly loud scenes, if it plays on the Oppo it's a dropout, but on the Samsung it's a bistream bomb. However, a 1:1 rip to a flash drive it runs flawlessly.