'Mission: Impossible The 5 Movie Collection' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Default 'Mission: Impossible The 5 Movie Collection' - High-Def Digest Review

If you're interested in the 'Mission: Impossible The 5 Movie Collection', Michael S. Palmer has the scoop. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2825...ollection.html
Old 11-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Palmer, I certainly can't agree with your rating of the 1st installment. It is much better than part 2 in the series. The music by the U2 guys and the stunts were breathtaking for their time and still look good today. Part 2 was odd when it came out and still doesn't please us. The rest of the series is very good and always worth to add to ones collection.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:56 AM

I have three and four on Blu Ray and I really want one (and now five) I figure that even though I don't need two on Blu, the completest in me would be fine with it. Obviously there's going to be a 6 but this saves space now. I'm also interested in the digital copies of all the movies. These movies are great to watch on a plane.

I have two questions: 1.) Does anyone know if there are digital copies included in the Steelbook set that is at Best Buy? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mission-...&skuId=4596001

And 2.) Does the MI2 Blu Ray have the Mission Improbable short that Tom and Ben Stiller did for the MTV Movie Awards on it? It's possibly the best thing to come out of that movie and I don't want to get rid of my DVD if I don't have it on the Blu Ray!

Last edited by browncoat85; 11-30-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Readability
Old 11-30-2015, 11:06 AM

I bought the 1-3 sets. Do these new sets have any new features? Same transfer right?

I probably won't buy anymore "sets".

I've seen 1 so many times and it always seems to be on TV.
2 is complete garbage I probably won't ever watch that blu ray.
3 is a absolute treat that I love watching
4 was great and I bought that.
I haven't seen 5 yet but am blind buying it and hope to not be disappointed.

This is a great series that I really hope they continue to do even if Cruise isn't the star anymore. Would love to see them continue this like the Bond series.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Administrator

@bogus. I did not review Movies 1-3.

@brown. not sure about the steel book, but my understanding is that the Ben Stiller short did not make the jump to Blu-ray.

@boston. this set appears to contain duplicate discs as the previous releases, save for Ghost Protocol (which has combined two discs into one), including those 1-3 and 1-4 collectors pack.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat85 View Post
And 2.) Does the MI2 Blu Ray have the Mission Improbable short that Tom and Ben Stiller did for the MTV Movie Awards on it? It's possibly the best thing to come out of that movie and I don't want to get rid of my DVD if I don't have it on the Blu Ray!
No, that parody skit inexplicably did not make the transition to Blu-ray. It shouldn't be a rights issue, because the Blu-ray does include another clip from the MTV Movie Awards.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
@boston. this set appears to contain duplicate discs as the previous releases, save for Ghost Protocol (which has combined two discs into one), including those 1-3 and 1-4 collectors pack.
Awesome Palmer thank you. No need for me to get any new sets then.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
@boston. this set appears to contain duplicate discs as the previous releases, save for Ghost Protocol (which has combined two discs into one)
Unless its an entirely new pressing, the single disc version of Ghost Protocol included in this set is likely the standard retail release of the film, which was always one disc.

The "3 Disc" (2 BD, 1 DVD) release of M-I: GP as a limited edition Best Buy exclusive that's been OOP for quite some time. The Best Buy edition moved all of the bonus content -- everything from the regular edition, plus an additional "Mission Accepted" featurette running ~20 minutes, 9 more "Impossible Missions" featurettes clocking in at ~45 mins combined, and 2 trailers -- to a second disc. The film is housed on its own disc and encoded at a slightly higher bitrate on the Best Buy LE.

On a related note, although I really shouldn't by now, I still sigh and roll my eyes every time a new one of these films comes out and Paramount once again repackages their nearly decade old MPEG-2/Dolby Digital discs. 9 years later, and the HD DVD of Mission Impossible III remains the definitive home video release of that film.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Unless its an entirely new pressing, the single disc version of Ghost Protocol included in this set is likely the standard retail release of the film, which was always one disc.

The "3 Disc" (2 BD, 1 DVD) release of M-I: GP as a limited edition Best Buy exclusive that's been OOP for quite some time. The Best Buy edition moved all of the bonus content -- everything from the regular edition, plus an additional "Mission Accepted" featurette running ~20 minutes, 9 more "Impossible Missions" featurettes clocking in at ~45 mins combined, and 2 trailers -- to a second disc. The film is housed on its own disc and encoded at a slightly higher bitrate on the Best Buy LE.
Thanks Super.

I need to check to see which GP blu ray I bought. I MAY have gotten that Best Buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
On a related note, although I really shouldn't by now, I still sigh and roll my eyes every time a new one of these films comes out and Paramount once again repackages their nearly decade old MPEG-2/Dolby Digital discs. 9 years later, and the HD DVD of Mission Impossible III remains the definitive home video release of that film.
Awful
Old 11-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
No, that parody skit inexplicably did not make the transition to Blu-ray. It shouldn't be a rights issue, because the Blu-ray does include another clip from the MTV Movie Awards.
Ugh! That stinks. I've probably watched that more than I have watched the movie! I'll just have to figure out a way to rip it off the DVD before I get rid of it.