'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-23-2015, 05:41 PM

Default 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2557...fromuncle.html
Old 11-23-2015, 07:11 PM

I saw ‘The Man From U.N.C.L.E.’ in cinemas and it just wasn’t a very good movie. It went flat too many times to forgive. Some of this being Guy Ritchie’s decision to shoot, edit, and score huge portions of the film as montages.

Also, several of the lead actors just didn’t hit their mark. Cavill was pretty good, he brought a hustling charm to his klepto conman character. Elizabeth Debicki, in her very few moments of screentime as the main villain, showed great charisma. But Armie Hammer was pretty bad. They pull his character in different directions and he fails at both of them. Sometimes he’s supposed to be the stereotypical deadpan Russian, but he just sounds like a dumb wrestler being fed his lines. Other times he’s supposed to be this Hulk-type rage monster, but he never feels dangerous. Alicia Vikander has proven solid in dramatic roles, but she lacks the light flirty touch needed for something this tongue-in-cheek.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 AM

Not sure what movie you people saw but it certainly wasn't the one I sat through. Smart, witty and entertaining, it was everything I had hoped it would be and a fair bit more. Like they say, you can't please everyone, I suppose...
Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 AM

I'm with Glooby, it was a refreshing break from boring deadpan movies, smart, witty, and entertaining is an apt description with a fantastic sound track, so good I actually bought the soundtrack.

I thought Hammer was perfect and was worried he was too big to fill David McCallum's shoes but it worked for me, Henry Cavill, no love from me, he was the weak point, but wow, Alicia Vikander was quite the surprise, between Ex Machina, U.N.C.L.E. and the upcoming Danish Girl she's really had an amazing year.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:04 AM

I totally enjoyed this one as well, it felt like a nice bit of subtle parody of the stark and depressing spy flicks like Bourn or Bond (granted, I haven't gotten to Spector yet), as much as I dig those movies, it's nice to see something that has solid action and international intrigue without taking itself to seriously. You could tell everyone involved was just having fun.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
(granted, I haven't gotten to Spector yet).
The Phil Spector biopic?
(cue the crickets)
Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
The Phil Spector biopic?
(cue the crickets)
That's what I get for trying to write on a forums board with my cell phone, good old autocorrect never fails to embarrass!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:59 PM

I have to agree 100% with the reviewer. I expected much more after checking the Rotten Tomatoes score. I wanted to like it, but it never engaged and I even found myself checking the time.
Sometimes the ingredients - as good as they might be - do not add up to a great movie(same goes for some dishes). The movie seemed to be the starter for a new franchise, but after this let's say underwhelming first act, I doubt that the money guys will risk another one of these.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
..I doubt that the money guys will risk another one of these.
And that's a real pity. Safer to knock out another generic superhero flick, I guess..
Old 11-25-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloobey View Post
And that's a real pity. Safer to knock out another generic superhero flick, I guess..
It's possible they might, as far as big action movies go this one was relatively cheap, $75million (before marketing) according to Boxofficemojo, and it did manage to pull in some solid international bucks. It was hardly the domestic financial disaster that Terminator Sega Saturn turned out to be. I'm hopefully optimistic that this one gets a second go around.