Lower Price reporting gone from Amazon? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2015, 05:28 PM

Default Lower Price reporting gone from Amazon?

I often report lower prices to amazon, for things I've pre-ordered or are considering ordering. However, when I went to report a lower price today, for Wolf Totem 3D Blu-ray, which Amazon has not matched to Best Buy yet, the option was no longer available to me. I then went to the page of all of my various pre-orders, and it appears as though the function has been taken out entirely. While Amazon claims to have a pre-order price guarantee on all of their merchandise, taking away this price reporting feature just makes it seem like we're no longer 'safe' to pre-order stuff from amazon.

Can anyone confirm they've taken out this function entirely, or is it going to come back after black Friday?

EDIT/ADD: The option is still available for some electronics, it seems, but not for movies...
Old 11-18-2015, 07:01 PM

Not surprised since Amazon seems to be run dicks lately. I'm not impressed with them and I will not be renewing my Prime membership in March.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:50 PM

I did contact amazon about this, and they replied, claiming that the manufacturers and distributors set the price for their movies now and that they can not use prices from companies like best buy any longer. Funny that Best Buy can price match anyone, even amazon, yet amazon can't (or isn't willing) to do it any longer.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I suspect they've done this as a money saving move.
1) Nobody is needed to field the reported lower prices
2) They leave the prices as is, thus making more on each sale

Regarding prices being set.... LMAO. That is such a bogus response it's got me laughing hardcore. We're not dealing with BOSE or APPLE products here. Each store has free will to set their own prices on movies.
What's been with all the pissing contests they've had with the studios? I'm sure it was Amazon showing its muscle, not the studios.
This will bite them in the ass, plain and simple.

What this means for me? Wait and see, but for starters, no more preorders because it is impossible to say I will get the lowest price.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:31 PM

Amazon,

You were so attentive when courting our love?
You put the other retail suitors to shame. We
thought you were different. You were the one.
Customer-centric, whatever that means. You're
not going to treat us like the other retailers
when they were dominant? Those weren't lies
that you told us when you were the upstart,
were they?

-----

To keep competition alive and to benefit
consumers (and jobs), I favor brick and mortar
now (for the past few years). If they are
near-equal, I send my business elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:15 PM

I think people expect too much from Amazon. People assume they should have either the lowest price or be able to price match the lowest price. This on top of having excellent customer service and return policies.

I like Amazon because of the convenience, quick shipping, and return policy. If sometimes they don't have the lowest (or tied with the lowest) price, then I'm not going to raise a stink about it or take my business elsewhere. With movies, we're only talking a few bucks. Just driving to a B&M takes more gas than that, not to mention time.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:50 PM

I probably order over 400 items from amazon (and amazon.de, amazon.it, amazon.fr, co.uk, etc) each year. Spending $2 to $10 more per item would be a pretty significant price increase. Amazon has always had great customer service. I'll give them that, but when a company like Best Buy, which has retail store overhead, can come out of bankruptcy and beat the heck out of amazon, which doesn't have that overhead, something is wrong. To me, amazon lost most of its competitive edge when they started building a warehouse in my state and started 'collecting' sales tax on purchases, about the same time Best Buy started price-matching amazon and other online sites. Also, as far as amazon shipping out their products faster, that's only if you're a prime member. I've had them send out items as much as a week (or maybe more) after release date, as a non-prime member. Amazon also started their prime-only deals awhile ago, which are also almost always beaten by Best Buy, and you don't even have to have any special kind of membership to get the same prices.

I'm not saying I won't order anything else from amazon, things I may not be able to get elsewhere, but I have no reason to pre-order things from them any more, hoping to get the best price.

If anyone else is concerned about amazon's no lower price reporting, then please e-mail them with your concerns. As of now, I haven't cancelled all of my pre-orders with them, and I'm going to keep an eye on the prices, to see if they match other retailer prices before shipment. This could be dangerous for people like me who pre-order things months in advance and kind of forget about the products until they've shipped. Maybe that's what amazon is hoping. Then again, maybe they know their biggest competitors by now and will do their own research.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:13 PM

After contacting customer service, amazon locked me out of my account, yet kept all of my orders active. I was able to eventually gain access to my account again, and they told me that they were going to do something about it, if they found out their customer service reps did it out of some vindictiveness because he/she didn't like what I said or how I worded my complaint. Amazon may be giving their customer service reps too much access into customer account control, and they may need to limit access to certain functions to only to trained techs that aren't going to do things out of spite. If this is the future of amazon, then even their customer service is failing.