'My Fair Lady: 50th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Default 'My Fair Lady: 50th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed 'My Fair Lady: 50th Anniversary Edition'. After a four-year wait, he says this is the Blu-ray transfer the classic musical deserves. With superb video and audio, along with an entire disc of extras, this Blu-ray is a must own.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1375...ryedition.html
Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Outstanding review David. I applaud Paramount for listening to Harris' request and for doing it right. Am very excited to see they have also added more supplements for this release as well.
This will be at the very top of my wish list, meaning it will be in my collection probably by year's end.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDD Review
Talk about a bounty big enough to flood the plains of Spain! All the extras from the 2011 Blu-ray, with the strange exception of the audio commentary (why get rid of that?) and original 1964 trailer, have been ported over to this 50th anniversary edition, and several new supplements have been included to sweeten the pot. The material is organized differently - a Rex Harrison radio interview is no longer buried in the galleries section and new visuals accompany it - to make everything a bit more user friendly.
David, I imagine the old audio commentary with Robert Harris was omitted because so much of that track discussed the 1993-94 restoration. Obviously, comments about the old restoration have little relevance to the new one.

The same thing thing happened when Universal released Vertigo. Harris' commentary on that film was dropped when they produced the Blu-ray -- based on a new restoration -- because so many of the comments no longer applied.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 PM

Good points! I had forgotten how much of the track focused on the restoration.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:32 PM

Thanks for a great review.

This is certainly one of my all time favorites. I checked the disk: The movie has 45.6 GB. That's what I call doing it right. There are many other "4K" restored movies that end up on disk with 25 GB. Why not using the space available as this movie does?
Great work by Paramount.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the great review, David. I'm happy with this transfer, relieved it was rescued from that bad version. My only knitpicks with the PQ and AQ were these:

1. A little distortion in the vocal tracks, especially early on. But with the damage to the source material, including sound, it's still a miracle of restoration.

2. What do you call it when something white glows hotter than a thousand white suns? Pickering's shirt in the scene where he, Eliza, and Higgins first meet looked like an alien abduction was in progress.

But it's still one of my favorite transfers. And few color palettes could better deserve restoration. I've watched it three times since I got it a week ago.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:27 PM

Bubdylan,
Glad you are enjoying the disc! It really defines the term "eye candy"! If only all classic movies could get that same treatment!

Cheers,
David