Happy Veterans Day- you top war blu rays - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2015, 10:13 AM

Default Happy Veterans Day- you top war blu rays

Happy Veterans Day, and thank you to all Vets.

What are some of your favorite war blu rays and why?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong thread area.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I was just putting away some Criterion discs that I had never added to my movie database program and was thinking it was time to watch The Thin Red Line. I had never seen this movie all the way through, just bits and pieces. This one and Saving Private Ryan were in bits and pieces.

One I used to watch every time it was on tv was Tora! Tora! Tora!
Disney's take on Pearl Harbor was entertaining as well.

If I was watching alone, I would get around to seeing The Bridge - The other member of the household hates reading subtitled movies so that would be saved for a special night.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Remembrance Day here in Canada.

I like watching We Were Soldiers. Got the UK blu-ray. Aside from the unfortunate error with the disc (no opening titles or text throughout the film {however there are English subtitles when someone is speaking Vietnamese}), it was a solid release. A realistic war film that was VERY well made.

Will be watching All Quiet on the Western Front tonight. Probably both the 1920's and 1970's versions. Have had them sitting on my shelf for quite a while and this seems to be the perfect time to finally give them a go. Have always heard positive things about them.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:54 AM

I have Tora Tora Tora but haven't watched it yet
I've seen Saving Private Ryan many times. Great movie, a bit depressing, but great movie. I think it's one of Hanks best.
Never saw The Bridge and Pearl Harbor. I have Thin Red Line but haven't seen that yet. Looks like I have 2 definite must sees.

We Were Soldiers did that get a US release? I loved All Quiet On The Western Front as a book when I read it but I have not see the movies.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:35 AM

I do like a number of films in the war genre. But I am not an American, so I will just talk about my favourite war movies and I hope the Americans here don't take it as an insult to their Veterans Day that these aren't all films that focus on the American army.

Obvious choice 'Lawrence of Arabia' This might actually be my favourite film of all time if I had to pick.

'Das Boot' Great film, and a very good bluray. The sound is key to creating tension in a submarine movie and bluray features a very good sound mix. The picture looks quite good for a European film from this era, too. Whenever a new format has come along, this is one of the first titles I upgrade.

'Apocalypse Now' The bluray is very great, it's just that it doesn't look the way this film looked during the many times I have seen it in 35MM prints in cinemas and that throws me off a bit because I'm so used to it looking a certain way. But I'm willing to believe that the contrast and colour levels are the original intended look.

'Enemy at the Gates' This one is very watchable. I'm always happy to put this one on. Good performances. It's got the thrills and structure of an action movie but maintains enough credibility.

'Black Book' / 'Zwartboek' Sure it goes overthetop in some places, but for a Paul Verhoeven film, it is incredibly restrained. A solid espionage thriller and a good depiction of the Netherlands, where some of the real horror started after the end of the war.

'The Deer Hunter' I don't have this one on bluray. I've stuck with my standard def DVD. Maybe I'll upgrade one day. But the film is great. Probably one of the ultimate bummers of cinemas, and I mean that as a compliment since it supposed to be depressing.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
I do like a number of films in the war genre. But I am not an American, so I will just talk about my favourite war movies and I hope the Americans here don't take it as an insult to their Veterans Day that these aren't all films that focus on the American army.

Obvious choice 'Lawrence of Arabia' This might actually be my favourite film of all time if I had to pick.

'Das Boot' Great film, and a very good bluray. The sound is key to creating tension in a submarine movie and bluray features a very good sound mix. The picture looks quite good for a European film from this era, too. Whenever a new format has come along, this is one of the first titles I upgrade.

'Apocalypse Now' The bluray is very great, it's just that it doesn't look the way this film looked during the many times I have seen it in 35MM prints in cinemas and that throws me off a bit because I'm so used to it looking a certain way. But I'm willing to believe that the contrast and colour levels are the original intended look.

'Enemy at the Gates' This one is very watchable. I'm always happy to put this one on. Good performances. It's got the thrills and structure of an action movie but maintains enough credibility.

'Black Book' / 'Zwartboek' Sure it goes overthetop in some places, but for a Paul Verhoeven film, it is incredibly restrained. A solid espionage thriller and a good depiction of the Netherlands, where some of the real horror started after the end of the war.

'The Deer Hunter' I don't have this one on bluray. I've stuck with my standard def DVD. Maybe I'll upgrade one day. But the film is great. Probably one of the ultimate bummers of cinemas, and I mean that as a compliment since it supposed to be depressing.
I haven't seen Lawrence yet and I own the nice limited edition set. I'm going to watch it soon. Just need to put aside the time for it.

Haven't seen Das Boot in a long time, but another good film.

I am due for an Apocalypse Now viewing. Always liked this movie. I haven't seen the last three you mentioned but I will look into them.