'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition' 2D and 3D - HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-09-2015, 06:42 PM

Default 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition' 2D and 3D - HDD Reviews

E has review the 2D and 3D Blu-ray releases of 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition'. Here's what he thought..

2D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2523...earmiesee.html

3D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2523...rmiesee3d.html
Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks E for the fine review.
Am looking forward to getting the 3D set, either when Amazon realizes $50 is too high and drops the price $20, or their exclusive window expires, forcing them to drop the price. (There is a window, right? Amazon is not going to keep the 3D EE forever, right?)
Old 11-09-2015, 07:08 PM

So the 3d IS amazon exclusive huh? 49.95 is waaaay to much. If they drop down to 35, I'm in. One more question about the extended version. Is there any blood in the hand to hand combat scenes? I thought I heard this would be R rated.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-hobb...&skuId=4656627

Nope, not exclusive to Amazon, up for pre-order on Best Buys site with the same release date but its priced at $59.99 through them.

Is this release just priced more just to be priced more? I got Desolation of Smaug for $32 on release date, I dont get why this one isnt priced the same....hoping that it drops and its the reason I havent bothered pre-ordering it yet
Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 AM

So what scenes are added that come from the book? Because it seems like there is very little in this movie from the actual book to begin with.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:08 PM

Yeah that's weird considering the extended 3D trilogy is only $89. Good deal if your like me and haven't bought any of them. Though they can keep this release, I'm waiting on the Atmos version, or 4K. Don't like these enough to spend money more than once, so I'll do it right.

I'm right with the reviewer on most things, these movies are more of a chore than a pleasure to watch. Not that they don't have moments, but this thing is twice as long as it should be. I've never seen a movie based on a book be ruined by extra plots the filmmakers had to add in to get the runtime up(the elf/dwarf romance particularly). However the part where he says the CGI is "spectacularly lifelike", and in the same sentence says they fail to capture the imagination as the effects on LOTR did. That's because they look less lifelike than the effects in LOTR. Watching LOTR then these is nearly as jarring as watching Star Wars eps 3-4 then watching 1-3.

I don't know what happened, but the cruddy effects in this trilogy are the bigger sin than the narrative IMO. Mindless fun is fine, as long as it's run to look at.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-hobb...&skuId=4656627

Nope, not exclusive to Amazon, up for pre-order on Best Buys site with the same release date but its priced at $59.99 through them.
Thanks for that - so we can expect a lower price then next week as BB will set the bar.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Yeah that's weird considering the extended 3D trilogy is only $89. Good deal if your like me and haven't bought any of them. Though they can keep this release, I'm waiting on the Atmos version, or 4K. Don't like these enough to spend money more than once, so I'll do it right.

I'm right with the reviewer on most things, these movies are more of a chore than a pleasure to watch. Not that they don't have moments, but this thing is twice as long as it should be. I've never seen a movie based on a book be ruined by extra plots the filmmakers had to add in to get the runtime up(the elf/dwarf romance particularly). However the part where he says the CGI is "spectacularly lifelike", and in the same sentence says they fail to capture the imagination as the effects on LOTR did. That's because they look less lifelike than the effects in LOTR. Watching LOTR then these is nearly as jarring as watching Star Wars eps 3-4 then watching 1-3.

I don't know what happened, but the cruddy effects in this trilogy are the bigger sin than the narrative IMO. Mindless fun is fine, as long as it's run to look at.
I dont know, I went and saw all of these in HFR 3D at the theaters and the FX looked amazing, Azog the Defiler was as good as Gollum was in the original Trilogy, the FX stood out more and looked better with the higher frame rate IMO, maybe that didnt translate well to the regular format....dont know, but I didnt really notice much difference between the films, if you go back and watch the original Trilogy, there is plenty of CGI that looks really bad, Moria is a prime example when the pillars they are standing on and jumping from and too look insanely fake with bad CG and green screen.....there are plenty of other places as well but all the movies arent consistent really, but you take the Rapids scene in the Desolation of Smaug and it looks pretty damn awesome
Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 PM

Wow, completely different experience. I sought out a theater to see the 1st one in HFR, and I can't unsee it. The dwarfs particularly looked like actors in make up standing around artificial looking sets. HFR looked no different than turning out the horrid motion flow deal all TVs have now. They look like actual films at 24fps.

The river part was one of the phoniest most cartoony moments in the trilogy. Second only to Rhadaghasts rabbit powered sled. Moria in Fellowship looked fantastic lol. Seems like the cgi people forgot what things in motion look like since LOTR, everything is too fast. Reminds me of cheesy old movies car scenes, when they play the background traffic footage too fast.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Wow, completely different experience. I sought out a theater to see the 1st one in HFR, and I can't unsee it. The dwarfs particularly looked like actors in make up standing around artificial looking sets. HFR looked no different than turning out the horrid motion flow deal all TVs have now. They look like actual films at 24fps.

The river part was one of the phoniest most cartoony moments in the trilogy. Second only to Rhadaghasts rabbit powered sled. Moria in Fellowship looked fantastic lol. Seems like the cgi people forgot what things in motion look like since LOTR, everything is too fast. Reminds me of cheesy old movies car scenes, when they play the background traffic footage too fast.
Well that was the problem with HFR and why we probably wont see it again, I personally loved it as did all of my friends, to me it made things more realistic like I was there filming all of this myself, to others it made things look to damn fake....not much you can do there I guess