'Mulholland Drive' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Default 'Mulholland Drive' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed the Criterion release of 'Mulholland Drive'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2383...criterion.html
Old 11-02-2015, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the review. I had no idea on the backstory about the movie.
The first time I saw this movie one word kept popping in my head for some reason - creepy

After I watched it I know I wasn't 100% sure of what happened. I never watched it again. I recently bought the Criterion so looking forward to checking it out.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks Josh for offering a comparison to the import. The pinkness of the skin in Criterion's version is very unnatural, bleargh. The hair shows more detail in the Criterion version but in motion it's probably not noticeable, I prefer the more natural color StudioCanal pic.

Regarding "Mulholland Dr." - we have places up here with "Mt. Blue" in front of their names, and you pronounce it "Mount Blue" but if you spell it out fully, you're incorrect and get lynched for doing so. So as a wise ass, I call it "M" "T" "dot" "Blue" - that pisses them off even more!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Thanks Josh for offering a comparison to the import. The pinkness of the skin in Criterion's version is very unnatural, bleargh. The hair shows more detail in the Criterion version but in motion it's probably not noticeable, I prefer the more natural color StudioCanal pic.
You shouldn't try to judge colors based on screencaps you're viewing on an uncalibrated computer monitor. The colors look fine during playback on a calibrated screen.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:38 PM

"How many drivers does a buggy have?"

I've loved this film to death ever since I saw it in the theater(...)

I'm forced to agree that the video quality on this Criterion edition seems a little disappointing. I only had the DVD prior, and was expecting more of a leap with this release. (Maybe this is just as good as it gets, given the source..?)
Old 11-03-2015, 01:34 AM

Josh: "Personally, I think that 'Mulholland Dr.' looks stupid and I inevitably read it as 'Mulholland Doctor'. I refuse to write it that way."

And from elsewhere this same day:
Josh: "Side note: I find it annoying that the LEGO Group insists on capitalizing every letter in the brand name..."

Too funny.

Next stop, Josh will be altering the name of his street to
Zyber DRIVEway, and painting huge letters on the ground
in front of his garage doors "PARKway."
Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You shouldn't try to judge colors based on screencaps you're viewing on an uncalibrated computer monitor. The colors look fine during playback on a calibrated screen.
Trust me - my monitor is accurate for color reproduction, it's been examined by the tools of the trade. I get your point though.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:31 PM

Lynch is so silly about the chapter stops thing. It's a wonder he doesn't insist remotes be disabled, as audience members shouldn't be able to control the film at all. Put the disc in the player, and it plays start to finish, no matter what you do.

Funny about the blurring being removed. I always thought it was kinda condescending and its existence bugged me more than what it was concealing. It's not like the shot was a closeup of her genitalia. Just a little hair.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 PM

Default Mulholland Drive renamed to Mulholland Dr.

So, has Criterion renamed this movie to Mulholland Dr. ? And why has Criterion gone back to doing separate releases for Blu-ray and DVD now?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
So, has Criterion renamed this movie to Mulholland Dr. ?
The spelling of the title has been debated ever since the movie was first released. The film's opening credits do not actually have a title card that tells you the name of the picture. There's just a shot of a street sign with "Mulholland Dr." written on it. However, the end credits copyright notice spells the title as "Mulholland Drive." For legal purposes, that is the official title of the film.

Quote:
And why has Criterion gone back to doing separate releases for Blu-ray and DVD now?
Because so many people whined about the combo packs on the internet that they relented and stopped doing it.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.