'Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Dolby Atmos Steelbook)' - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-30-2015, 12:56 PM

Default 'Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Dolby Atmos Steelbook)' - HDD Review

Steven has reviewed the Atmos-saturated 'Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Dolby Atmos Steelbook)'. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2313...steelbook.html
Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Administrator

I'm one episode into Season 1 and agree completely with Steven. Instant, audible upgrade (though mileage will vary scene-to-scene). Definitely a Must Own set for anyone with an Atmos setup.

Can't wait to get to Season 2's Blackwater.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:31 PM

At first I thought Cohen wrote the exact same audio
review for both seasons 1 & 2. These are the different
parts of the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Cohen's review of Season 1
...Take the opening sequence of the first season, for instance. Set in the frozen lands beyond the wall, the sound design features an eerie flow of gentle wind and falling snow dispersed around the room -- and now, thanks to Atmos, also from above, adding a more realistic and encompassing sense of space. More deliberately placed effects, like chirping birds, hooting owls, ringing bells, crackling fire, and water dripping down from the ceiling of the Stark family crypt also make their way to the heights, creating a dome of seamlessly blending sounds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by from Cohen's review of Season 2
...Of course, as one might expect, episode 9 proves to be the real highlight here, and the Battle of Blackwater Bay will likely become many user's go-to Atmos demo scene. From the moment the episode begins, distant thunder and creaking wooden floorboards all make their way to the heights with organic imaging and dispersion. And when the battle really begins... well, all hell breaks loose from every direction. But as chaotic as the action is, the object-based sound design remains incredibly precise and deliberate, allowing users to hear small nuances in effects and directionality. The wildfire scene is a standout moment as well, providing an absolutely engulfing explosion that grows outward and upward, dispersing falling debris, cascading fireballs, desperate screams, and splashing water from above. Piercing arrows also make good use of the Atmos height speakers, allowing the sounds to transition from overhead to ear-level and vice versa. Likewise, even the series' quieter dialogue heavy moments benefit from the added immersion, gently expanding background sounds like crackling fire and crashing waves to the height channels...
Old 10-30-2015, 03:06 PM

"...and Dinklage plays the role with wit, charm and insightful wisdom"...and a terrifically horrible accent.

Sorry...it needed to be said And, for the record, I love him in the role...

Thanks for the review! I have read the books (the ones released so far), and the 1st season did a decent job mirroring them (not that that's necessary). I haven't watched past the 2nd season, but my wife watches them all...definitely a few things different as the seasons progress (as compared to the books) from what she tells me (she often asks "is this person gonna die?" and such). I look forward to binge watching once they're all done. Appreciate the review, Steven! These will be "must owns" for me.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:42 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks Steve for your fine review.
I know Steve isn't a n00b so I won't even go there. I would assume that the Atmos mix is louder than average, and the average Joe will instantly say it sounds better! Thanks Steve for giving a breakdown and a walk around the room to see how the extra channels were working.

Got that out of the way -- not being Atmos enabled myself yet, two things hold me back.
1) Current pricing, especially with so many recent and coming releases, and Black Friday!
2) The shitty method they used to package these, as Josh mentioned (and Steve confirms) they stacked all the discs together. Wtf are they thinking?

It's pretty lame they default to DD. I thought we got over this. Dolby TRUE-HD is a common enough codec now that I cannot think of a reason they did not default to that. My understanding of Atmos is this is a layer of TRUE HD.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:21 AM

Cool, maybe the show will redeem itself before its end to make me want to own it again and they'll do Atmos on the eventual Complete Series Collection set.

BTW, are these versions missing the Bush head mask?
Old 10-31-2015, 01:38 AM

HBO should just sell empty Steelbook cases. (I know,
I know, Atmos is a legitimate upgrade.) I just don't
want to spend $80 bucks on double dipping. What am
I going to do, just buy season 1 and NOT season 2 in
Steelbook? And then even more Steelbooks for future
seasons.

Next week, during release week, I'm going to have to
pray to the Old Gods and the New, to help me resist.
Perhaps at the other side of the Wall, that will be
enough to separate me from the purveyors of the
Steelbooks.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Darn it, I got seasons 1-4 unopened on my shelf because I am determined to finish at least the first book before watching the show (almost done with it). But now I am wanting these because of the upgraded audio. Maybe by the time I get around to watching the show, the price will have dropped enough to justify a double dip.

BTW, the books are fantastic - I can't put them down. If the show is half as good as the books (minus the sex scenes), I'll be hooked.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:38 AM

I'm honestly surprised anyone is putting out Atmos stuff yet, I cant imagine this bringing them much money on the remaster and repacking because 99% of the people out there arent going to have Atmos setups anytime soon, even if I did have Atmos, I wouldnt be double dipping expensive Blurays I already own, maybe something like the Fifth Element for $14 sure, but definitely not whole seasons of a TV show
Old 11-03-2015, 11:43 AM

Amazon just sent an email saying the release date changed to Dec 18th, and the Amazon page just says "temporarily out of stock". What gives?