The Happy Ending

The Hawaiians

Support Your Local Sheriff / Support Your Local Gunfighter

Cowboy

The Big Heat

Where The Sidewalk Ends

La Bambola Di Satana
Old 10-26-2015, 09:45 PM

A double dose of James Michener! I'd like to see both the Hawaii films, so this is good news.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:21 PM

Sad to see these titles being released by these crooks. What's the point of spending $30 on a limited edition blu-ray disc, when most of them come barebones without newly-restored transfers? Furthermore, some titles (e.g. "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "The Big Heat") get re-released after their first-run, limited editions get sold out. As much as I love some of these films, I will boycott this company, since their business model is evil.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider255 View Post
Sad to see these titles being released by these crooks. What's the point of spending $30 on a limited edition blu-ray disc, when most of them come barebones without newly-restored transfers? Furthermore, some titles (e.g. "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "The Big Heat") get re-released after their first-run, limited editions get sold out. As much as I love some of these films, I will boycott this company, since their business model is evil.
No one is forcing you to buy anything. If you don't feel that any of these movies are worth $30 to you, then you clearly don't need to own them.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
No one is forcing you to buy anything. If you don't feel that any of these movies are worth $30 to you, then you clearly don't need to own them.
Josh you must have this message saved in a local file, correct?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Yep same ole' discussion, Twilight Time sucks, they put premiums on movies that do not warrant premium prices. And those of us who feel they suck need to deal with it. Thankfully they didn't announce anything good this time around.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider255 View Post

The days of Twilight Time discs being sourced from shitty DVD-era transfers, with only an essay and isolated score as extras, is long gone. A majority of TT's releases -- at least the titles they license from Fox and Sony -- have "newly restored" (or, more correctly, remastered) transfers, and several discs have at least as many supplements as their studio-direct DVD release, if not more.

As for the bold... I see nothing wrong with re-issues. Titles going back in print is always good. Twilight Time waited 3 years (their contract release window) before relicensing those titles. People who bought the first release had up to a 3 year exclusive, and anyone who missed The Big Heat the first time around will be able to pick it up now.

Sony and Fox were not going to release these films on Blu-ray themselves. That's why they were available for licensing.

The catalog market is deader than all the people killed by Cecil B. DeMille. I'd rather someone (be it Twilight Time, or Criterion, or Kino, etc.) license and release an older title in high def (even at less than idea prices) than have no Blu-ray of that film at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Yep same ole' discussion, Twilight Time sucks, they put premiums on movies that do not warrant premium prices. And those of us who feel they suck need to deal with it. Thankfully they didn't announce anything good this time around.
The Big Heat (dir. Fritz Lang) and Where the Sidewalk Ends (dir. Otto Preminger) are both classic examples of film noir. The Last Detail (dir. Hal Ashby) is a really underrated film and has a great performance by Jack Nicholson.

Last edited by Super-VHS; 10-27-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:20 PM

The Big Heat has one of my FAVORITE scenes of all time. It's one of my favorite film noir movies.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
The Big Heat has one of my FAVORITE scenes of all time. It's one of my favorite film noir movies.
Is it the scalding water on the stove scene?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Is it the scalding water on the stove scene?
LOL actually no.
It's the scene when Bannion comes home and his wife is making dinner. It's like the epitome of the 1950s home. The wife in full makeup & apron getting dinner ready. The husband, home reading the paper and his wife makes him a martini. He asks what's for dinner(I think) and she says steak. I think she lights up a cigarette for him, and she takes a drag. He talks about his day. They sit down for dinner and and cuts a big steak in half and each get a baked potato. This scene, IMO, is so well done. It paints a perfect picture of that quaint 50s marriage you always read about.

Spoiler
Then, sadly I forget if it's afterwards or in a LATER scene, the wife gets in his car and it explodes. The movie just set me up for a huge punch in the stomach I had no idea at all that would happen and wasn't expecting it.

Both those scenes stood out for me, but it's just an overall fantastic movie.