'Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Default 'Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight'. This is a knowingly fun and deliberately over-the-top B-picture that should make for some great Halloween viewing. This Blu-ray is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3458/demonknight.html
Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 PM

I may have to get this for release day. LOVE this movie, it's awesome.
Great review!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:49 PM

Enois Duarte relates to b-movies the same way I do. I like reading his reviews of these types of movies the most on this site.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:55 PM

Nice review, E. Kind of a slim assortment of extras on this release. I've seen other Scream Factory releases with more extras that aren't "Collector's Editions". I'm very confused how they deem which releases are worthy of their "Collector's Edition" moniker, and which aren't. Nonetheless, I'll still pick this one up when it hits the $15 mark...so probably by next Halloween.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:20 PM

I'm pretty sure this was shot in 5.1, had a theatrical DTS mix.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114608/...ef_=tt_dt_spec

I'd lay odds that a Universal studio movie in 1995 was shot in 5.1, most all big studio films were 5.1 by 1993. I have the German digibook edition, which only includes a 5.1 option so I can't directly compare. However I did watch this last week on my new set up, and for a catalog film the 5.1 was actually very good, lots of discreet well placed rear effects, dialog is always crystal clear.

I tend to have a high degree of skepticism when anyone tries describing what a movie looked and sounded like when they saw it theatrically 20+ years ago, so feel free to be skeptical of me. However the sound design is pretty much as this movie has always sounded. I was one of the few who actually saw this theatrically, twice in fact(Cryptkeeper is still my bag!), and all I can say is what I hear on the current Blu Ray simply sounds right.

BTW if anyone would be willing to loan me their copies of Demon Knight and Bordello for a week just to watch the extras, that would be awesome! Just bought these like 2 months ago(or just before the domestic anouncement, whenever that was lol), by Caps-A-Holic they are bit for bit identical! PM me, glad to pay.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:17 PM

I'll pick this up sooner or later. I want it, but I just can not justify $25 for it.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:07 PM

Such a cool movie. If I hadn't spent so much on entertainment lately, I'd grab this right away. Will have to wait a bit though.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I'll pick this up sooner or later. I want it, but I just can not justify $25 for it.
Same here, while I extremely appreciate what Shout Factory is doing here as horror is my favorite genre, some of their catalog releases dont demand that high of a price, stuff like Sleepaway Camp and even these 2 movies (Demon Knight and Bordello of Blood) arent huge titles that a lot of people are scrambling for and for Demon Knight to barely get much on special features and a decent clean up on picture? Not worth a brand new movies price point especially when a movie like Jurassic World costs the same price and I get the 3D version, 2D version, DVD version and a digital copy to share with some friends on my Vudu account.

This is still why I havent bought a lot of titles because they simply arent worth the high price for me, especially when I have the DVD with the same features, I have bought a few from them that were really worth it, Army of Darkness for sure, 4 versions of the film and really awesome features.....Nightbreed collectors edition was one of the most sought after Director's Cuts ever and i was glad to pay the premium for that numbered edition, Lord of Illusions was the first time seeing the DC in high def, honestly never thought that would even get a good Bluray release, but Sleepaway Camp and plenty of others just havent been anything worth buying at higher prices, some I want are finally dropping like Day of the Dead and They Live can be had for $18 or under but they seem to be the Disney of horror films where their movies dont drop a lot over time

Last edited by Vidfreek; 10-29-2015 at 12:06 PM.