Gonna be an early 4K Blu Ray adopter or not? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM

Default Gonna be an early 4K Blu Ray adopter or not?

I had around 1200 DVDs when the HD formats were about to hit, "only new releases and special older movies" I told myself. So now 4k is about to debut, I'm at around 1400 Blu Rays, and I find myself telling myself the same thing about the new format lol.

I think I might actually make it this time, as the jump from DVD was crazy dramatic in almost every case. Best help is that audio is staying the same this go round. Having a 4K display will hinder things as well, as affordable 4K projector options aren't here yet, and look about 2 years out. Though I plan to start buying new 4k releases immediately as they'll doubtless be backwards compatible.

How about you?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:26 PM

If they combo pack 4K releases with current Blurays and the price isnt that much different? Sure I will jump in to prepare for the day I get a 4K TV, but my 60" 3D Plasma is only 2 years old and its still a great TV, no plans to replace it any time soon with what little 4K content there will even be and I'm not talking about the highly compressed streaming kind on Netflix, that I cant really do anyways because of my data cap....Bluray still looks amazing to me for almost every movie and older movies that I'm still waiting for, especially classic horror flicks that havent made the transition, just wont benefit much from 4K since regular Bluray cant get rid of a lot of the problems due to the time it was made, the source, etc.....newer movies obviously thats a no brainer but I'll be waiting quite a while before I bother jumping in with a TV and I'll only pick up the new discs if they are priced right and come in combo packs
Old 10-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 4K tv next year. It's going in the movie room/man cave
Old 10-26-2015, 02:50 PM

I'll probably grab a 4K TV sometime next year. I'm not in a huge rush. My own TV has glitched out (turns off and on so fast the screen doesn't even get a chance to turn on) but I hardly use it. I want to get a 4K 3DTV. Doesn't have to be the biggest or the best, but I do want one, but I'm waiting for one to appear for $1200 CAN during a sale. It could happen next year. If so, then next year will be a big tech year for me. New computer and possibly a new TV.

If and when I get a 4K TV, I'll grab a 4K player, though I won't be in a rush to do so.

So yeah, it all depends on whether I can get a TV that meets my requirements next year.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 PM

I am not in a rush. I don't even have a 3D TV. Mine still is pretty good, but maybe I will get a 4K TV next year.

I really wish I got a larger TV though. I will not make that mistake next time.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:59 PM

No interest in 4K TV. Maybe a projector? Depends. If I go projection then it'll be a few years before I'm ready to make that jump. I just don't see the point in going 4K for anything under 80".

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:32 PM

I won't be jumping into 4K blu-ray anytime soon. 4K TVs are just way too much money at the moment and honestly I do not see that big of a difference (if any at all) against a 1080P blu-ray and/or TV. The biggest TV I'm using right now is a 68 inch Plasma 3D and the image quality is superb. Also got a 42 inch Toshiba 1080P LED TV which I'm very satisfied with as well. Now, that's not to say I'll "never" make the jump to 4K, but as of right now (and the next 4, 5, plus years), I just don't see the point.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Just like vidfreek, if the movies come in combo packs and are not obscenely priced I will probably get them. I keep telling myself that I will eventually (sooner than later) get a 3D capable display and so that is why whenever possible I buy the 3D versions.
Honestly though, an UHD tv + UHD BD player is at least 2 years away, maybe more. At that point I would certainly want it to be 3D capable as well so I can play all these 3D discs I own.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Gonna be an early 4K Blu Ray adopter or not?

Nope. Unlike Blu-ray, where I had a 1080p display starved for content, I don't see myself getting a 4K living room display anytime soon. So no need for content or a player. When I do make the jump in a couple years, I'll save myself thousands of $$
Old 10-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Not me. Eventually, when I upgrade, I'll get a 4k HDTV (as if there'll be a choice). But I can't see myself ever having a 4K Blu-Ray player. By the time I would be ready to get one streaming (which I despise) will be just as good, if not better, and physical media will be all but dead.