The American Friend

Inside Llewyn Davis

Gilda
Old 10-19-2015, 01:30 PM

Can't wait for Gilda
Old 10-20-2015, 12:57 AM

Gilda is all I care about.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:47 AM

I'll be getting 'Lady Snowblood' for sure. The first one is a classic, simultaneously elegant and trashy.

The second one is rubbish.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
I'll be getting 'Lady Snowblood' for sure. The first one is a classic, simultaneously elegant and trashy.

The second one is rubbish.
Never heard of either

Tell me about the first one please
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 AM

The first one is a female samurai revenge movie. The heroine is born in prison to a woman who conceived her solely for the purpose of extracting vengeance on those who ruined her life. It follows a fairly obvious structure in that she's basically got this list of villains to kill. It is very stylishly executed with good pacing and forward thrust, but what I like most is the characterization. Watching her catch up with the villains and seeing how they're all at different places in their lives than they were decades ago when they committed the acts that are now being avenged. Some have profited from that betrayal and not looked back, while others are pitiful losers. They do a good job at realizing these characters to feel like they've had full lives in between the scenes we see.

There's a sense of tragedy to the whole film that gives it a greater depth for me as a viewer than just another movie about killing bad guys. The heroine struggles with her lack of an identity outside of revenge. She lives to avenge actions she never witnessed against parents she never knew, and once she's completed her task, will her life have a purpose?

The second film sees the heroine plucked off of death row, like 'Nikita', so that she can be turned into a secret agent. She's supposed to infiltrate anarchist groups and take them down. The movie has very bad pacing and it always feels like these various factions are playing her when it should be the other way around. Most of the supporting characters are not very interesting. The directing is sloppy and the plotting messy.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
The first one is a female samurai revenge movie. The heroine is born in prison to a woman who conceived her solely for the purpose of extracting vengeance on those who ruined her life. It follows a fairly obvious structure in that she's basically got this list of villains to kill. It is very stylishly executed with good pacing and forward thrust, but what I like most is the characterization. Watching her catch up with the villains and seeing how they're all at different places in their lives than they were decades ago when they committed the acts that are now being avenged. Some have profited from that betrayal and not looked back, while others are pitiful losers. They do a good job at realizing these characters to feel like they've had full lives in between the scenes we see.

There's a sense of tragedy to the whole film that gives it a greater depth for me as a viewer than just another movie about killing bad guys. The heroine struggles with her lack of an identity outside of revenge. She lives to avenge actions she never witnessed against parents she never knew, and once she's completed her task, will her life have a purpose?

The second film sees the heroine plucked off of death row, like 'Nikita', so that she can be turned into a secret agent. She's supposed to infiltrate anarchist groups and take them down. The movie has very bad pacing and it always feels like these various factions are playing her when it should be the other way around. Most of the supporting characters are not very interesting. The directing is sloppy and the plotting messy.
thanks for the info. The first sounds very good.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:52 PM

I enjoyed the first Lady Snowblood as well. I would like to replace my DVDs.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:24 AM

Wasn't Criterion supposed to release Linklater's "Before Sunrise" Trilogy? What ever became of that?
Old 10-30-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrynichus View Post
Wasn't Criterion supposed to release Linklater's "Before Sunrise" Trilogy? What ever became of that?
Titles are sometimes "announced" years in advance of their official release. David Lynch's Mulholland Drive was first teased by Criterion almost three years ago (and had been many times since). Their edition of the film finally came out this week.

The Before trilogy is coming. As is Boyhood, which around the time of its theatrical/awards promotion, Richard Linklater claimed would be released by Criterion in the future. Criterion has since confirmed both projects are indeed in production.

Linklater and Ethan Hawke's earlier comments about a possible boxset containing Sunrise, Sunset, and Midnight were of the vague "we're trying to make it happen" variety. There were numerous hurdles that needed to be cleared for the set to materialize. Deals with the original distributors (Warner for the first two and Sony for the last one) needed to be made. Beyond those agreements, assuming Criterion and Linklater plan to include extensive supplemental content, new bonus material needed to be produced. Also, presumably, the first film needed to be remastered. (The current HD transfer of Before Sunrise shown on cable/available for download is not pretty.) Criterion would probably want to tweak the last two, too, as they're known to do. And remasters, like the deals that needed to happen and any production of extras that needed to be completed, take time to finalize.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me if a Before... box came out sooner rather than later. Clues for all three films were in the New Year's 2015 drawing back in January. Inside Llewyn Davis was teased in that same drawing. And Inside Llewyn Davis, per the top of the page, has not only been confirmed but given an official release date.