PCM vs HD extras on BR: Not a poll, a question of space and cost, or cheapness. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 AM

Default PCM vs HD extras on BR: Not a poll, a question of space and cost, or cheapness.

BR fans have much touted space as an advantage over HD DVD, giving the ability to have one 3 hour or longer movie in hq video with Lossless as well. Now my concern is this: What about studio's that have a reasonably long movie and seem to have some extras, HD only, but it could be woefully short because of the fact they're using PCM instead of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA and want to fit it on one BD-50 disc.
I bring this out because I think some studio's out there WILL use PCM, cutting down on HD extras altogether and stuffing it on one disc just to be cheap. Keep in mind with PCM they have to pay no or little royalties hence my putting forth that situation.
I don't think Warner would do this with LOTR and extras in HD if they choose to do it but others may.
Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

the extended editions of lotr should be on 2 50gb discs anyway before extras even hit, maximizing video bitrate and using truehd
Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 AM

My concern was not Warner as much as others.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Only HD DVD is losing HD extras and/or lossless sound, and when they don't, they go to a second HD DVD disc. This has already happened with Paramount (Face/Off, Blades of Glory), Warner (Alexander: DC, A Clockwork Orange), and Magnolia (The Host).

In addition, depsite using lossy soundtracks, Universal doesn't do HD extras, just the very rare PiP.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 AM

My 2 cents...

I never watch extras. I don't care how the movie was made, I just want the movie on a disc with awesome PQ and AQ and that's all. I'd actually rather they release a lower-priced version of movies with no extra features.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
My 2 cents...

I never watch extras. I don't care how the movie was made, I just want the movie on a disc with awesome PQ and AQ and that's all. I'd actually rather they release a lower-priced version of movies with no extra features.
I hardly watch extras but i love for my movie to have them or i feel like something is missing. Im weird.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM

I'd trade HD extras for PCM any day of the week. Luckily, I don't have to.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
I'd trade HD extras for PCM any day of the week. Luckily, I don't have to.
You're missing my point. My point being is they could either use an extra disc for the extra's or, perish the thought, they could pay Dolby to use TrueHD as a Lossless codec to get the same result as the PCM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 AM

However, most audiophiles prefer PCM over TrueHD. So I don't think they would prefer it make room for extras they don't really want anyways.