how come Blu-rays still come with 3D, DVD and Digital Copies? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-06-2015, 08:39 PM

how come Blu-rays still come with 3D, DVD and Digital Copies?

In Canada Blu-ray's seem Expensive. $32-$34 before Taxes. I figured if studios would make a single dual layer copy of the movie without those other versions if the movie would be closer to $22-$24 CAD

I am very curious about what others are paying around the world in their own Money. well if your money is similar to dollars. I wouldn't understand Yen.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:59 PM

How much do you think you personally should pay for a blu-ray movie?

if your also Canadian and typically pay less than me where do you shop? do you buy movies right away or wait for the price to drop?

Thank You
Ryan

Last edited by gohanrage; 10-06-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I am greatly annoyed that there's people out there buying 4K tvs now and still using DVD. I think the studios still feel they supply a combo pack for those to play dvd now and eventually blu later. I see no excuses really for people not to buy a Blu player in this day and age except for the studios still offering a $35 mega combo pack or a $16 dvd only pack.
I am all for 3D + 2D + Digital, just dump the dvd. The 2D is for me now, the digital is so that my mother keeps her fingers off my discs and the 3D is for when I take the 3D plunge, thus not having to but the movie again.

With $$ conversion, your prices are about the same as USD prices.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I am greatly annoyed that there's people out there buying 4K tvs now and still using DVD. I think the studios still feel they supply a combo pack for those to play dvd now and eventually blu later. I see no excuses really for people not to buy a Blu player in this day and age except for the studios still offering a $35 mega combo pack or a $16 dvd only pack.
I am all for 3D + 2D + Digital, just dump the dvd. The 2D is for me now, the digital is so that my mother keeps her fingers off my discs and the 3D is for when I take the 3D plunge, thus not having to but the movie again.

With $$ conversion, your prices are about the same as USD prices.
Thank You

I think there should always be a Blu-ray only version available at a lower Price.

I am not sure if 3D is going to continue to be a feature in HDTV or 4K TVs. at least I don't see many TVs with the Feature.

There is a New movie in theatres about man walking across a cable between the two world trade centres and people are actually throwing up in theatres while watching it. its that realistic.

I bought my PS3 for watching Blu-ray Movies. I still only own 5 games but I have much more movies on blu-ray.

I'd like to start another thread I am just not sure where to put it asking when people think the PS3 will come down to $99.99. I have never had a BD that wouldn't play correctly on my PS3.

If I was to buy a Blu-ray player for my sisters house I would probably want to get her a PS3 even if she never plays video games on it.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:26 AM

I tend to suspect the combo packs are what satisfies the bulk of the market. The extra discs don't really cost that much to make (like a couple of cents) so it's easier to just give everybody everything in one package.

People would probably be more annoyed by paying to own a movie and it not playing on all their devices, or having to buy the same movie twice at full price in order to get the 2D and 3D versions.

Also, combo packs play down to the ignorance of people who don't look closely at the packaging. And retailers probably like that because it saves them having to stock 3 different versions of the same movie or deal with cranky returns from people who accidently bought the 3D version and it won't work on their 2D tv.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
I tend to suspect the combo packs are what satisfies the bulk of the market. The extra discs don't really cost that much to make (like a couple of cents) so it's easier to just give everybody everything in one package.

People would probably be more annoyed by paying to own a movie and it not playing on all their devices, or having to buy the same movie twice at full price in order to get the 2D and 3D versions.

Also, combo packs play down to the ignorance of people who don't look closely at the packaging. And retailers probably like that because it saves them having to stock 3 different versions of the same movie or deal with cranky returns from people who accidently bought the 3D version and it won't work on their 2D tv.
Great Opinion
Thank You
Old 10-07-2015, 11:42 AM

As for the price.

If it's a blockbuster movie, I always wait. I know they print a ton of those and they'll be down around the $10-15 range a year later when the demand has died down.

New stuff that's more offbeat like some new Pedro Almodóvar flick or something, I'll buy it new at the regular price (usually $20-25) because I find those titles frequently go out of print or the cost even goes up.

As for older b-movies. I notice a lot of cult movie distributors are charging pretty high prices for this stuff. Sometimes $30 for some old Pam Grier movie and I refuse to pay that much. I want those movies on bluray, but I'm not going to spend that much to get them.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
As for the price.

If it's a blockbuster movie, I always wait. I know they print a ton of those and they'll be down around the $10-15 range a year later when the demand has died down.
Often times though release week will have price wars and thus save some dough. As a person that prefers to have the slipcovers intact, I try to get it release week anyway.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Often times though release week will have price wars and thus save some dough. As a person that prefers to have the slipcovers intact, I try to get it release week anyway.
Same here, if it's a movie I want, I usually stop at Target on release week for that movie, and it will be both on sale, and my only chance at either the slip cover version, or the steelbook if they have it.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

how come Blu-rays still come with 3D, DVD and Digital Copies?

Because BD has a 30% market share of the optical disc market while DVD has 70%.