'Lost in Space: The Complete Adventures' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-29-2015, 12:59 PM

Default 'Lost in Space: The Complete Adventures' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Lost in Space: The Complete Adventures'. He says this is his favorite home video release of 2015. The series looks great in HD, and every effort has been made to make this set extremely enjoyable for both fans and newcomers alike. This is a must-own release. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2009...ollection.html
Old 09-29-2015, 03:28 PM

No UV code included?
Old 09-29-2015, 03:59 PM

I made it through the first disc, and man, am I impressed! It looks absolutely stunning, and I laugh at many of the things that were never meant to be seen that are now showing up in HD like the wires in the zero-g and low gravity scenes. The bonus features are surprisingly good, and I actually forgot how well written the earlier episodes were (the science discusssed in the show is actually pretty impressive). Also, the price on Amazon dipped and then rose again before it was released, so I got mine through the preorder price guarentee for $129.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:41 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
No UV code included?
Nope, and I'm guessing it's intentional...they sunk a ton of money into restoring this thing, so they probably want to take advantage of selling them separately later via Vudu and/or Amazon. That's probably why they didn't include the 1.78:1 versions too (other than the one on the bonus disc) - they can always sell a widescreen set at a later date.

I'm guessing we'll see single season releases starting next year sometime as well.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:48 PM

FYI: The limited edition "embossed Robot" package is not worth seeking out. It is the exact same package as the regular edition, but with an embossed "Robot" card glued to the front, then placed in a thin plastic case that has the set's title on it (since there is no title on the card). The card on mine fell off after sitting on a table for a day. If you want it, though, it is available at Amazon and likely elsewhere. At times, it has even been cheaper (at Amazon.ca last week) than the regular edition.

Also, the 1970s animated Lost in Space pilot was indeed aired as an episode of the ABC Saturday Superstar Movie back in 1973 (on September 8).
Old 09-29-2015, 11:50 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Shannon - without me digging in too deeply, you mention they "opened it up" to 1.78:1, so the original camera process was wider than 1.37:1?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Shannon - without me digging in too deeply, you mention they "opened it up" to 1.78:1, so the original camera process was wider than 1.37:1?
Well, yes and no...the show was obviously not shot widescreen, so there's cropping at the top and bottom, but there is a little more information on the sides than in the 1.37:1 cut. But the show was never intended for anything much larger than 1.33:1 - Kevin Burns just found that he could open the show to 1.37:1 without any significant issues (like crew or other production equipment being seen).

He gives a better explanation of the process on the commentary he does with Mike Clark for the TV pilot, 'The Reluctant Stowaway' - it's something you should listen to immediately after watching the first episode (or, at least, the first bonus feature you explore), as it explains a lot about how this set was produced. But that's my understanding of what happened without getting clarification from him.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandCanuck View Post
Also, the 1970s animated Lost in Space pilot was indeed aired as an episode of the ABC Saturday Superstar Movie back in 1973 (on September 8).
Thanks...I don't know why I didn't catch that, since the bonus materials include a photo gallery with ads for that special presentation.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I made it through the first disc, and man, am I impressed! It looks absolutely stunning, and I laugh at many of the things that were never meant to be seen that are now showing up in HD like the wires in the zero-g and low gravity scenes. The bonus features are surprisingly good, and I actually forgot how well written the earlier episodes were (the science discusssed in the show is actually pretty impressive). Also, the price on Amazon dipped and then rose again before it was released, so I got mine through the preorder price guarentee for $129.
That's funny. The screenshots looked REALLY good. This set looks extremely comprehensive. $129 is a decent price, a little hefty for me. If it drops to $60 I will probably pick it up.

Enjoy yours!
Old 09-30-2015, 10:34 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
That's funny. The screenshots looked REALLY good. This set looks extremely comprehensive. $129 is a decent price, a little hefty for me. If it drops to $60 I will probably pick it up.

Enjoy yours!
I lucked out with mine. FOX CONNECT had a special Comic Con preorder price of $100, and I used a $30 coupon on top of that, so I got mine for a cool $70 (as did many others).