Need help understanding the end of The Prestige... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Need help understanding the end of The Prestige...

Warning: Spoilers.

OK, so i just got done watching the Prestige, and im very confused about two parts of the Ending.

1. When Hugh Jackmans Character shot his cloned copy after the first test of the machine, did the real kill the clone, or did the clone kill the real one? Is the character at the end a clone, or the real character? I know that the one performing the trick had to die so no one would get suspicous (thats why we saw all the people in the water tanks at the end), but who survived all the tricks, the Clone or the real one?

and now my second question: THe other character that was framed for the murder of Hugh Jackmans character was hung at the end, yet he was still alive to shoot Hugh Jackmans Character. Did he use a similar machine made by Telsya to create a copy of himself so he could out smart the other characters trick to frame him?

This movie was confusing as hell. Please, anybody know the answers?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh Drown View Post
Warning: Spoilers.

OK, so i just got done watching the Prestige, and im very confused about two parts of the Ending.

1. When Hugh Jackmans Character shot his cloned copy after the first test of the machine, did the real kill the clone, or did the clone kill the real one? Is the character at the end a clone, or the real character? I know that the one performing the trick had to die so no one would get suspicous (thats why we saw all the people in the water tanks at the end), but who survived all the tricks, the Clone or the real one?
I'm pretty sure the one at the end is a clone, because he'd fall into the tank after being telported and then die while the clone appeared to the rest of the crowd. I'm still not too sure on this though.

Quote:
and now my second question: THe other character that was framed for the murder of Hugh Jackmans character was hung at the end, yet he was still alive to shoot Hugh Jackmans Character. Did he use a similar machine made by Telsya to create a copy of himself so he could out smart the other characters trick to frame him?

This movie was confusing as hell. Please, anybody know the answers?
The character played by Christian Bale right? Well he was hung, but the guy that was always with him, with the beard, was his twin in disguise, thats how he was able to do that teleporting door trick. So when one of them died, the other killed Hugh Jackman's character.

I'm not too sure on the first, but I'm positive on the second.
I hadn't seen it in a while, so I wikipedia'd it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prestige_%28film%29
Old 08-05-2007, 08:40 PM

the first time was confusing for me as much as it was for you, i watched the movie 3 times now, (1 time SD, 2 times Blu-ray), i think this is one of the best movies on Blu-ray, amazing film, great disk ,

1 = When he (Angier) tries out the machine for the first time, he kills his clone, but from then on, he does his trick (drown himself and make a clone), , this question is confusing since the director wanted you to belive what YOU want, thats how some movies are

2 = if you watch the movie, those 2 are twins, the didnt use any machine, they are brothers, the switched places once in a while (some times a brother was Felon, sometimes he was Bordon)

Watch the movie again and im sure you'll understand more of the story, watch the ending a couple of times, its a great movie
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Thanks. It was a great movie, im definetly going to buy it. (i rented it off Netflix) Its just the Ending literally made me say, "oh what the F***" Another question, is Michael Cane (THe old guy who helps Hugh Jackman in the movie) is he the same guy that plays Alfred in Batman Begins?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
is Michael Cane (THe old guy who helps Hugh Jackman in the movie) is he the same guy that plays Alfred in Batman Begins?
Yep. Look for him to reprise his role in "The Dark Knight"
Old 08-05-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It was a great movie, im definetly going to buy it. (i rented it off Netflix) Its just the Ending literally made me say, "oh what the F***" Another question, is Michael Cane (THe old guy who helps Hugh Jackman in the movie) is he the same guy that plays Alfred in Batman Begins?
ye, same guy, same director, same style, anyway, just re-watch the movie, you'll understand lots of things.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
This movie was confusing as hell.
You said it, kid. And you can say it again.

Quote:
It was a great movie, im definetly going to buy it.
I'm selling mine. Seventeen bucks, includes shipping. Watched only once, in practically mint condish. PM me if you're interested. I didn't like this movie at all.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:57 AM

#1. the clone kills angier and thus knows how the machine works. Knowing this he sets up the future clones to drown. angier died the first time the machine is tested. Whatever was put in the machine was moved say 50yards and a clone put in it's place. Thus the person in the machine after it does it's magic is the clone. You know this b/c angier places a handgun incase the SHTF, but the clone grabs the gun and shoots angier first.

#2. Twin brother.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 AM

Really, the one thing that I needed to understand this movie was the sentence or phrase in which he talked about devoting the entire life into one trick. Like when they viewed and talked about how the old chines guy did his trick at the beginning.

Thats what Bales character did. He and his twin devoted their entire life living as one character in order to achieve their trick, even when it meant giving up their family and friends.

The clone part was trickier to me though...

I really have to watch this one a few more times also..
Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 PM

The whole clone vs not clone thing isn't really important. Though TECHNICALLY the one on stage, didn't get teleported, he simply fell through a trap door, and the machine created a copy of him in the back of the room. So I guess every night he performed the trick the clone survived, and the original died. But it wasn't really a "clone" in a normal sense... it was an exact copy.

He talks about every night not knowing if he'd end up being the one to drown, or the one to to live. I loved the movie and it was one of my first purchases on Blu-Ray