'Queen Rock Montreal' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
PeterB

Default 'Queen Rock Montreal' -- pre-release buzz

Eagle Rock has announced it will bring the classic Queen live performance to Blu-ray on November 20:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/queenrocksmontreal.html

Originally released in 1983 as 'We Will Rock You,' the Blu-ray has been remastered in 1080p. Extras include Queen's complete 1985 Live Aid performance, plus more TBA.

UPDATE:
This one's been bumped two weeks to Dec 4, and Eagle Rock has unveiled the complete list of supplements:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1088

Last edited by jed; 10-22-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:20 AM

I've seen Queen several times live and own all their available live dvd's and I must say, the performance at this particular concert is definitely sub standard. Nice to have the Live Aid extra, but otherwise not worth it (at least for me) to spend another 28 $ on this release.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM

I'll Definitely be getting it! I remember I was working at night at a comicbook shop in 91' when it was announced on the radio that Freddie had died and I was extremely upset, probably the only time I've ever been at the passing of any celebrity, because I knew it would be the end of New Music from Queen. I actually liked them more and more with each new album. "It's a Kind Of Magic" being a personal favorite.

Any chance to see them perform Live is a must. I've gotten anything I could from them, including Freddies Opra-duet album. They MADE live-aid more then any other Band there.. and THAT'S saying something!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:56 AM

While this release may seem redundant, the release in HD and BD is notable. This should look great as the previous dvd looked amazing shot with 35 mm mobilevision technology, kind of a side tech to IMAX. IS this a "new" transfer? The previous HD derived one looked amazing. It would be odd if this were actually worse.
The problems are this.
One... The sound mix on the previous DVD was done TOTALLY dry in many parts. Now the the reason is because this was supposed to be shown at festivals, venues etc... with giant speakers. Watching this film in a setting like that will create it's own natural reverb, like a concert. If you had a bunch or reverb etc... to make this sound concert-like fit would be a muddy mess on the road.
When you take a mix that dry and play it at home, it sounds, well, REALLY dry and unnatural. Also, the earelir dvd "mix" itself was done by someone who might know home theater mixing, but knows little of how Queen sounded when properly mixed. Live at the Milton Keynes bowl sounds excellent, (Wembley good as well) because they were done by QueenProductions with input, supervision from Brian, maybe Roger. But someone on the Queen payroll.
The previous We Will Rock You was done by some guy at Pioneer. He just tried to competently mix the levels of the untreated tracks and the end result was kinda flat and dry and even dull.

second, the crowd is DULL. REALLY dull. Look at wembley, people are hopping, doing the handclaps, they are INTO it. Here, freddie chides them during "Jailhouse Rock" to "move it you f*ckers, c'mon!" near the end to try to salvage some energy. He also tells them, to "if you want to get up and shift your asses a bit, that's ok..."
And in "Love OF my Life" where in europe and especially South America, everyone knew the words and took over at one point, here, most don't know it. Freddie even says, "You don't know it, huh?" and there is no familiar interplay.
So, if the band seems a bit restrained energy-wise compared to say, Milton Keynes, Live Aid or Wembley it's because the crowd, simply, SUCKS.
Maybe it's Canada. I don't know. Musically Queen play well, though not as energetically as in some other shows.

So all things said, this is it. The only Classic Queen concert that can benefit from HD due to being shot on film. Wembley, Keynes, Houston 77, the rainbow... will NEVER benefit as they were shot in SD video, (although PAL for Wembley and Milton)
If this looks as good as it should in HD, will be a treat visually. If the new sound mix finally does this concert justice, will be DEFINITELY worth it.

It looks like they actually went back to the original live vocals for all the tunes with this release. On the original concert film, (and previous DVD) certain bits of songs had had the lead vocal re-recorded, (looped) in the studio, (many concert dvds actually have this done) to (as confirmed by the director in the commentary track),"fix" a few things, bum notes etc. I could always tell when listening as the reverb, timbre, eq and even sound of Fred's voice was different in those bits.
I watched some of the clips from the upcoming re-release and indeed the vocal is different.

http://www.queenrockmontreal.com/

Ok, did this really quickly and really roughly. (I am on Daddy Daycare so you can hear mini-Mack in the background!)
I just aimed my vid camera at my TV to show Fred's vocal on "Now I'm Here" and then on my computer screen which shows the new clip from the upcoming DVD re-release. At the end of the line, "and many a tear lives on in my eye, Oh, yeah..." you can hear the difference.
On the previous DVD, Fred goes up to an "A" at the end. On the new DVD, he stays at "F sharp" I put the clips back to back a few times so you can hear.

This clearly shows that there was a different track on this part of the song on the original THX dvd. Which is evident in a few other clips too.
To this, I say, very cool. Maybe he didn't go up as dramatically high live, but the sound is much better. They say in the press for this that they went back to the original 24 trk. recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65dfwY6NQc

The overall mix seems much more balanced as well. Brian has said on his site that he always disliked the way the previous discs sounded.
The crowd is still the crowd and just don't seem as responsive as a european audience, (as seen in the wembley and Milton Keynes dvds) but the band plays well.

I saw Queen live in 1982 and my friend did backup vocals on Brian May's, (Queen's guitar player) solo tour in the early 90's. I used to make fun of her when she sang in cover bands and then she got the Brian May gig and did backups on his second album and one of Roger's albums and on the last Queen record, Made in Heaven. She got us into the afterparty in NYC after the Brian solo gig. An amazing musician and true gent!

Old 12-01-2007, 02:08 AM

OMG i saw this at bestbuy today. Unfortunately, i didn't buy it.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM

As soon as possible somebody clear up if this is region free or not, I am gonna take this from amaz since ll save in the worst scenario 7.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:05 AM

We finally got in a couple copies of this tonight at Best Buy and with my discount I snagged it for $15! Easily the best $15 I've spent on a Blu-ray release! Upon initially viewing this I was blown away at how amazing the video quality was!! It really looks good. Damn good! And the sound....all I can say is WOW! I immediately selected the DTS HD surround track and it kicked in sounding better than I hoped it would. All I can say is if you were thinking about getting this don't hesitate!! If you love Queen it's a great great concert Blu-ray to own!!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post
While this release may seem redundant, the release in HD and BD is notable. This should look great as the previous dvd looked amazing shot with 35 mm mobilevision technology, kind of a side tech to IMAX. IS this a "new" transfer? The previous HD derived one looked amazing. It would be odd if this were actually worse.
The problems are this.
One... The sound mix on the previous DVD was done TOTALLY dry in many parts. Now the the reason is because this was supposed to be shown at festivals, venues etc... with giant speakers. Watching this film in a setting like that will create it's own natural reverb, like a concert. If you had a bunch or reverb etc... to make this sound concert-like fit would be a muddy mess on the road.
When you take a mix that dry and play it at home, it sounds, well, REALLY dry and unnatural. Also, the earelir dvd "mix" itself was done by someone who might know home theater mixing, but knows little of how Queen sounded when properly mixed. Live at the Milton Keynes bowl sounds excellent, (Wembley good as well) because they were done by QueenProductions with input, supervision from Brian, maybe Roger. But someone on the Queen payroll.
The previous We Will Rock You was done by some guy at Pioneer. He just tried to competently mix the levels of the untreated tracks and the end result was kinda flat and dry and even dull.

second, the crowd is DULL. REALLY dull. Look at wembley, people are hopping, doing the handclaps, they are INTO it. Here, freddie chides them during "Jailhouse Rock" to "move it you f*ckers, c'mon!" near the end to try to salvage some energy. He also tells them, to "if you want to get up and shift your asses a bit, that's ok..."
And in "Love OF my Life" where in europe and especially South America, everyone knew the words and took over at one point, here, most don't know it. Freddie even says, "You don't know it, huh?" and there is no familiar interplay.
So, if the band seems a bit restrained energy-wise compared to say, Milton Keynes, Live Aid or Wembley it's because the crowd, simply, SUCKS.
Maybe it's Canada. I don't know. Musically Queen play well, though not as energetically as in some other shows.

So all things said, this is it. The only Classic Queen concert that can benefit from HD due to being shot on film. Wembley, Keynes, Houston 77, the rainbow... will NEVER benefit as they were shot in SD video, (although PAL for Wembley and Milton)
If this looks as good as it should in HD, will be a treat visually. If the new sound mix finally does this concert justice, will be DEFINITELY worth it.

It looks like they actually went back to the original live vocals for all the tunes with this release. On the original concert film, (and previous DVD) certain bits of songs had had the lead vocal re-recorded, (looped) in the studio, (many concert dvds actually have this done) to (as confirmed by the director in the commentary track),"fix" a few things, bum notes etc. I could always tell when listening as the reverb, timbre, eq and even sound of Fred's voice was different in those bits.
I watched some of the clips from the upcoming re-release and indeed the vocal is different.

http://www.queenrockmontreal.com/

Ok, did this really quickly and really roughly. (I am on Daddy Daycare so you can hear mini-Mack in the background!)
I just aimed my vid camera at my TV to show Fred's vocal on "Now I'm Here" and then on my computer screen which shows the new clip from the upcoming DVD re-release. At the end of the line, "and many a tear lives on in my eye, Oh, yeah..." you can hear the difference.
On the previous DVD, Fred goes up to an "A" at the end. On the new DVD, he stays at "F sharp" I put the clips back to back a few times so you can hear.

This clearly shows that there was a different track on this part of the song on the original THX dvd. Which is evident in a few other clips too.
To this, I say, very cool. Maybe he didn't go up as dramatically high live, but the sound is much better. They say in the press for this that they went back to the original 24 trk. recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65dfwY6NQc

The overall mix seems much more balanced as well. Brian has said on his site that he always disliked the way the previous discs sounded.
The crowd is still the crowd and just don't seem as responsive as a european audience, (as seen in the wembley and Milton Keynes dvds) but the band plays well.

I saw Queen live in 1982 and my friend did backup vocals on Brian May's, (Queen's guitar player) solo tour in the early 90's. I used to make fun of her when she sang in cover bands and then she got the Brian May gig and did backups on his second album and one of Roger's albums and on the last Queen record, Made in Heaven. She got us into the afterparty in NYC after the Brian solo gig. An amazing musician and true gent!

YOU LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:41 AM

I got this and Elton: 60 last week and of the two, I am more happy to replay the Queen one. I can see his pores on close-ups, oh my! The Live Aid is interesting to me because I remember going through those days and a piece of nostalgia for me. The really cool part about this disk is turning on the english subtitles during listening to the music in the main concert and reading other bandmembers comments during their recent viewing of this concert along with me. Gained some new insights watching Freddy with the subtitle.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 AM

What codec is it that's used for the video?
I'm curious to know, cos I have the BD, but I don't have a player atm :P