'Bram Stoker's Dracula: Supreme Cinema Series' is coming October 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-04-2015, 12:29 PM

Default 'Bram Stoker's Dracula: Supreme Cinema Series' is coming October 6

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2426...sdracula2.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2426...draculale.html
Old 08-05-2015, 10:59 AM

I can't wait for this. I just got rid of my old BD for this.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 AM

Nice. Looks like it's going to be a solid release. Will definitely be pre-ordering this one.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Wow, I watched this just a couple of months ago and noted how utterly ho-hum the transfer is, very nice to see it get an upgrade! I can't wait to see how this movie utilized Atmos, it has a really crazy soundtrack with lots of sweeping loud effects!

That being said, with 4K Blu Ray right around the corner, I'm not sure I'd jump on any old releases with shiny new 4K transfers right now.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:57 PM

We can only hope that the 4k remaster is used as an excuse to return the movie to its original color timing. My fear is that although it'll be scanned at 4k, someone at Zoetrope will insist that they still use that overly-dark and miscolored answer print as the reference to base it on.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 PM

I dont think I own or saw the previous(current) blu ray. Is the transfer awful?
Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I dont think I own or saw the previous(current) blu ray. Is the transfer awful?
Some people claim to like it, but the colors are messed up (green moonlight, what's that about?) and it has a severe amount of black crush that actually ruins some of the special effects because you can't see them anymore. When complaints first surfaced, Sony claimed that the transfer was approved by Zoetrope (Francis Coppola's production company) and that its appearance is based on a never-before-seen answer print located in the studio archives. That story sounds dubious to me. I saw the movie three times theatrically and it never looked like the Blu-ray.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Some people claim to like it, but the colors are messed up (green moonlight, what's that about?) and it has a severe amount of black crush that actually ruins some of the special effects because you can't see them anymore. When complaints first surfaced, Sony claimed that the transfer was approved by Zoetrope (Francis Coppola's production company) and that its appearance is based on a never-before-seen answer print located in the studio archives. That story sounds dubious to me. I saw the movie three times theatrically and it never looked like the Blu-ray.
Pretty much exactly why I've kept my Criterion Laserdisc. While detail may be improved, I didn't like the odd color shifts, green moon, but then also I thought reds were pushed into an odd neon pink. A lot of those early Sony discs should be getting some 4K remasters - they're showing their age.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Didn't y'all know, green tint is *IN* now !
Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 PM

Watch them "Teal/Orange" the hell out of the movie.