'The Divergent Series: Insurgent' (2D & 3D) - High-Def Digest Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-03-2015, 04:35 PM

Default 'The Divergent Series: Insurgent' (2D & 3D) - High-Def Digest Reviews

E has reviewed 'The Divergent Series: Insurgent'. He isn't a fan and says this sequel is all hairstyles with very little logic or substance.

Full 2D review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/21482/insurgent3d.html

Full 3D review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/21341/insurgent3d.html
Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM

Unlike so many YA franchises that pretend to be so much more, summer action movies such as Jurassic World can be shallow and cliche-ridden and still be entertaining and successful.

Not sure what anyone was expecting from a movie about a theme park full of dinosaurs except that dinosaurs run rampant and people get crunched.

Now, a movie about a teenager who discovers herself and saves the world. We should expect more than most of the drivel out there.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:38 PM

^^ I agree. When comparing the narrative failures and logic seen in both movies, at least, 'Jurassic World' managed to entertain whereas 'Insurgent' was incredibly frustrating to sit through. But IMO, they both still share the same problem of telling genuinely engaging stories.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 08-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

The problem is that even at half a star movie rating that all the books will be made into movies because people keep handing over their money, just like Twilight.I have been told that the book series is actually pretty decent so how the hell did they fubar it so badly to merit half a star?
I would have loved to see all the sequels to Eragon but that will not likely happen.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 AM

I enjoyed the first film and didn't have the same problems that many people had with it, like getting assigned a career and faction or whatever, yet still being able to choose a different faction from the one the computer chose. I've not seen the sequel, but the trailer didn't really resonate with me very well. So, I'm going to go in this (should be in my mailbox any day) with low expectations.

One thing that bothers me about some films is when they completely change the look of the characters. For example, I still can't get over the changed look of Jill Valentine from RE: Apocalypse to RE: Retribution. Tris, in Divergent also looks totally different than Tris in Insurgent. Maybe they want it to be like Tris grew up a little bit and got her shit together, to justify the changed look. Who knows? Maybe they explain it in the film?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 AM

I was bored to death with the first one, so it is no surprise to hear this one was worse.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:24 PM

The Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-93 (not DBP) are affected by the MediaTek seamless branching bug, the BDP-103/105 is not. The inability of the Playstation to play 3D and TrueHD is due to Sony's stubbornness, AFAIK.

And, Expendables 3 had the same seamless branching and Atmos, and you guys gave that one 5 stars. Why would you let technical issues play into the score here, and not with that one from months ago?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
The Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-93 (not DBP) are affected by the MediaTek seamless branching bug, the BDP-103/105 is not. The inability of the Playstation to play 3D and TrueHD is due to Sony's stubbornness, AFAIK.

And, Expendables 3 had the same seamless branching and Atmos, and you guys gave that one 5 stars. Why would you let technical issues play into the score here, and not with that one from months ago?
I do not advocate copying movies but it seems that nowadays in order to watch a recent release blu-ray movie without experiencing the random bitstream audio bomb is to copy the disc to a hard drive and play it from the hard drive. Mind you, the blu ray player is still actually playing the file, just from hard disk and not blu ray disc. I believe this glitch is caused by the branching that is meant to prevent copying. Little by little more and more titles exhibit this problem. It's not the player as I can revisit older movies just fine. Samsung denies it to be an issue but I find it hard to believe I would be the only one to report this. They expect you to buy new players now every 2 years to keep up with this protection mechanism and I have said this before, this is killing the format.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 PM

This review can't be serious. It's no Hunger Games, but half a star is absurd. This is a case of a reviewer making the review about himself and not about passing serious judgment on the subject at hand.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:37 AM

I haven't seen Insurgent but I did see Divergent. It came as a pleasant surprise, it had its share of flaws but overall enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'd probably give it a 3, 3.5 at best, out of 5.

Professional review not withstanding I guess we're all entitled to our opinions, after all.

There aren't many movies I'd give half a star rating to, I reserve that for utter shite I've wasted my time on such as Battlefield Earth, Gigli and Catwoman. Needed to use the fast forward button to make it through those.

Is Insurgent truly that bad? I rented the BD from Gamefly and will find out for myself soon enough.