'Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-11-2015, 01:02 PM

Default 'Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers' - High-Def Digest Review

Bryan has reviewed 'Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1635...pycampers.html
Old 06-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks Bryan for making it an expensive week for me.
Looking at the movie itself ratings we see a progression of less stars for each sequel. I had not heard of these movies in the years they came out so it's nice to see your reviews, they make me want to buy 2 & 3.

One simple question that is only partly related: No disc stats listed. This being a "collector's edition" series is there a slip cover to the package for this and #3? We pretty much already know Scream/Shout Factory region lock their discs so that factoid being absent is no big thing.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Hi Krawk,

With most of the Scream factory releases, there are almost always slipcovers. On one side is the original new art and on the reverse side is the original theatrical poster art, which is interchangeable. Thank you. I think these Sleepaway Camp movies will make an excellent marathon at midnight and at around Halloween.

Thank you.

My Best,
Bryan Kluger
www.boomstickcomics.com
Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 PM

Nice review, Bryan. However, I think you were a little generous with the 3.5 for the PQ. I'd rate it somewhere between a 2.5 and a 3 (part 3 the same as well). The print damage could've been cleaned up better IMO. Apparently the original negative for the film is long gone, so clarity wise, this is probably the best version we're gonna get (same goes for part 3). It looks acceptable, but I was still moderately disappointed with it, especially when compared to how good Part 1 looked.

One thing I didn't like about these releases for Parts 2 and 3 was how they were given individual "Collector's Editions". I'm sorry, but these should've just been a "Double Feature" release like Ghoulies 1 and 2 was. There's nothing really here that warrants these releases to be Collector's Edition. I mean, Scream Factory couldn't even get Pamela Springstein to do a commentary and/or interview. These releases were just a little TOO light in extras IMO.
One of Scream Factory's more recent releases, From a Whisper to a Scream, should've been granted Collector's Edition status rather than these two. That release had a TWO hour documentary, a 1+ hour documentary about super 8 filmmaking, and two brand new commentaries. AND if you ordered directly from shoutfactory.com you also got a nice 35mm film strip from the film and an autographed "thank you" note from Jeff Burr. Now THAT should entitle a release to be a Collector's Edition.