'Apollo 13: 20th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-09-2015, 01:48 PM

Default 'Apollo 13: 20th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed 'Apollo 13: 20th Anniversary Edition'. He says this new 20th Anniversary Edition contains a pristine video transfer that's free of age-revealing flaws and artificial enhancements. With fantastic lossless audio, this Blu-ray is a must-own.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1939...ryedition.html
Old 06-09-2015, 04:09 PM

Default Double Dip

I don't usually buy a second release of any movie I already own on a given format but for this one I'm making an exception.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Was the audio re-done for this release Luke?

I ordered the Zavvi Steelbook. Previous release sounded fantastic but still would like to know.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Was the audio re-done for this release Luke?
From what I can tell, the sound mix is the same - but that's not a bad thing because it sounds great. I went back and forth between the two releases and didn't notice an audio difference. While the marketing for this release points out the video remaster, nothing has been said about the audio, so I'm lead to believe that it's not new.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 PM

How does this new release compare to the HD DVD release, which was far better than the original Blu-Ray version?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
How does this new release compare to the HD DVD release, which was far better than the original Blu-Ray version?
Wasn't the HD DVD the same exact transfer as the original Blu?
Old 06-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Wasn't the HD DVD the same exact transfer as the original Blu?
No, the original Blu-ray had a bunch of DNR, contrast boosting and other processing applied in a misguided attempt to spruce it up.

The HD DVD was decidedly better than that Blu-ray, but it was still an old transfer that was pretty noisy and had some edge enhancement baked-in.

I have not seen it, but the new Blu-ray is supposed to be a brand new film scan. Unless Universal did something really screwy, it should be the best version of the movie to own.

When Universal bothers to do a new film scan, they almost always do a good job with it. The problem with the studio's catalog titles is that Universal is very cheap and typically prefers to recycle ancient DVD masters rather than pay for new scans.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:32 PM

I was curious as to whether anyone has compared this new BD with the older HD DVD side by side. I'm sick of upgrading every few years and I suspect that if 4K Blu-Ray ever sees the light of day that Apollo 13 will be re-released once again.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 PM

Picked up the 20th Anniversary blu-ray release at Costco for $10. Based on everything I have read, it has to be better than my HD-DVD . . and will probably last a lot longer also . .
Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Picked up the 20th Anniversary blu-ray release at Costco for $10. Based on everything I have read, it has to be better than my HD-DVD . . and will probably last a lot longer also . .
Let us know. I'm interested in a direct comparison with the HD DVD.