'Inherent Vice' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Default 'Inherent Vice' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck has reviewed 'Inherent Vice'. He says this was one of the best films of 2014. He doesn't know whats going on in it, but it really is great. With fantastic video and audio, this Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/16211/inherentvice.html
Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM

I liked the source material. I like the filmmaker adapting it. The adaptation is incredibly faithful. Yet I do not like this film. And I even tried to like it. There was just something missing from this film. I felt the novel dug a little deeper on the feelings of disillusionment and the end of an era. I also found the repartee between Bigfoot and Doc to be wittier in the novel, in the film it mostly just felt very lowbrow.

I just don't feel this one came together.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Having never read the book, I think the movie was quite entertaining and had everything that I like about P.T. Anderson.

Also many deadheads complain about it being hard to follow, to me it was like the Big Lebowski...just watch it unfold, it is not rocket science.

In some ways I am glad that Anderson is like a cult following. He is quite a film maker and like Kubruck...not always appreciated.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:06 AM

Man, I just don't know where the high praises this movie is getting are coming from. I spent months wanting to see this and when I finally did, I was utterly disappointed. The movie spent way too much time on fanservice instead of telling a story and the ending was a complete let down. The actors were fantastic though and I did love the costumes and everything they did for the movie. However, from a story telling point of view, it could have been a lot better. I'm glad I saw the movie, but this is one movie I do not need to ever watch again.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
The movie spent way too much time on fanservice instead of telling a story and the ending was a complete let down.
Could you please cite an example of the fanservice? I am trying to understand that.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesim View Post
Could you please cite an example of the fanservice? I am trying to understand that.
Given I'm obviously not the guy who typed ^that, I would like to offer a possible explanation: I'm willing to bet the person who typed that wasn't aware that the source material was equally as INcoHERENT as the film. If this is the case, I can see where one could feel that the movie wasn't attempting to provide any context for what was happening, leaving it basically impossible for anyone who hasn't read the book to understand anything.

However, as we know, the book is equally as insane.

For the record, I think this movie is brilliant.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricko9 View Post
Given I'm obviously not the guy who typed ^that, I would like to offer a possible explanation: I'm willing to bet the person who typed that wasn't aware that the source material was equally as INcoHERENT as the film. If this is the case, I can see where one could feel that the movie wasn't attempting to provide any context for what was happening, leaving it basically impossible for anyone who hasn't read the book to understand anything.

However, as we know, the book is equally as insane.

For the record, I think this movie is brilliant.
Fair enough. Actually a person I care about very much was comparing Tarantino to Anderson and stating that scenes seemed to be dropped into Anderson movies and Tarantino seems to have more purpose hence him having a wider audience. This criticism I think goes along with the way audiences suck up all these TV series over movies.

An even further criticism seems to come from Anderson born more from money vs Tarantino who understands what being poor is and it is about the bottom line.

While I understand the point, I don't see it myself. Take in case two criticisms that this person gave.

*SPOILER ALERT*

One was the fact that he stated Bigfoot was a crooked cop. I stated that it was all relative, but how exactly does he come to that conclusion?? He said...well he took the heroin didn't he? I said, I think it was pretty obvious he took the heroin to stick it to bat boy (who helped get his partner killed), but also only enough to pay off the dealer so they wouldn't come looking. I guess in a very small way he was protecting Doc...but only in a small way. I said, just who do you think made that phone call?? Details, to me, I think it came from me doing multiple watches and also searching for answers.

The second point was how Doc says in the beginning that he doesn't do matrimonial cases. Doesn't Jack Nicholson talk about doing them in Chinatown? Whatever the case this was thought as sloppy writing or just being cute and it didn't really make sense...because how does he pay rent, how does he pay for a phone?

To me, I think this is ignoring the fact that he didn't exactly live in a palace and also he was just a weed smoking hippie who happened to be really good at his job (and there were all kinds of examples of this). But also lets keep in mind the cops just didn't like him, not at all, and dare we say he seemed just a little connected with not only how he conducted himself, but also having a sort of lawyer friend.

For me Anderson is like Kubrick...don't get it...F*ck you...go watch it again and see if you can catch the details this time. They are there, but they just don't hit you over the head repeatedly.

I do appreciate the explanation on the fan service. I actually want to extend it further to real film service. While I love Tarantino, I don't see many conversations about "what this scene meant" in regards to his work. Anderson I ponder for years, and probably spend the other part defending him.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Man, I just don't know where the high praises this movie is getting are coming from. I spent months wanting to see this and when I finally did, I was utterly disappointed. The movie spent way too much time on fanservice instead of telling a story and the ending was a complete let down. The actors were fantastic though and I did love the costumes and everything they did for the movie. However, from a story telling point of view, it could have been a lot better. I'm glad I saw the movie, but this is one movie I do not need to ever watch again.
I agree. It was so booooooring. Plodding along without any interesting or likable characters. A typical PT Anderson pile of crap.