'Sneakers' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 PM

Default 'Sneakers' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Sneakers'. He says the film holds up well more than two decades after its theatrical release. This is a better than average Catalog Blu-ray from Universal. Read on for all the details!

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/16761/sneakers.html
Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 AM

One of my all time favorite movies and the reason my HD DVD player still has a home in my rack. As the review mentions, it doesn't take itself too seriously and is quite entertaining with a phenomenal score. Some great subtle references to early computers and hacking as well, such as the Cray they have a conversation in front of and the Cap'n Crunch box.

If you want to take a look at the HD DVD to compare, just send me a PM - I'd be happy to mail it to you for a look.

PS - Along with Gandhi, Tibbs, and Woodward, you may also want to include Elwood Blues.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
One of my all time favorite movies and the reason my HD DVD player still has a home in my rack.
Same here. Sounds like this release is pretty much the same as the HD DVD release (minus lossless audio and a VC-1 encode). Looks like I'll be holding on to that release for now, until I can find the blu-ray for $5 or under.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
PS - Along with Gandhi, Tibbs, and Woodward, you may also want to include Elwood Blues.
Well, what I was going for in that sentence is to mention some of the more serious roles these actors are famous for, and then say that this project offered them an opportunity to lighten up. Akyroyd hasn't attempted much hard drama, at least not that he's widely known or remembered for.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Well, what I was going for in that sentence is to mention some of the more serious roles these actors are famous for, and then say that this project offered them an opportunity to lighten up. Akyroyd hasn't attempted much hard drama, at least not that he's widely known or remembered for.
I don't know - Akyroyd was riveting in his portrayal of Capt. Thurman in Michael Bay's 'Pearl Harbor'
Old 04-21-2015, 01:01 PM

Absolutely loved this movie and am sad it did not get a proper blu ray treatment.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
One of my all time favorite movies and the reason my HD DVD player still has a home in my rack.
And one of the reasons why I still have my Laser Disc player!

Loved this movie. This was also one of my wife's favorites (from before we met). Always a fun one to put back in and watch together for a bit of nostalgia to our brief dating days, when we would talk about mutual interests...

Thanks for the review Josh!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:02 PM

No
more
secrets
Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 PM

BestBuy and Amazon show a second version being released on 7/14/15. Any ideas what this might be? Is that when exclusivity ends? FWIW, Amazon is selling the current release (not just third party, but sold by amazon.com).