'Empire Records' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2015, 12:49 PM

Default 'Empire Records' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed 'Empire Records'. Check it out.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1614...rerecords.html
Old 04-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Damn...I was excited when I saw this being released, as I grew up with this movie.

But, I totally understand what Luke is saying.

I put in 'Wayne's World' the other day, I don't think I made it through 10 minutes before having to shut it.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:04 PM

One of the best teen comedies of the 90's. Little disappointed that Warner didn't include BOTH versions for this release, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose. Can't wait to pick this one up!
Personally, I don't find this to be a rip-off of The Breakfast Club at all. It may have a few characters that share certain actions or behaviours, but that's not "ripping-off" a movie. Most movies will have similar characters to ones before it. That's just how it is. Every movie can't have completely different characters in them.

Quote:
An oddity supporting these rumors is Tobey Maguire's name showing up in the closing credits despite him being nowhere in the movie.
I always wondered this myself. However, I thought we saw him once where Mark started that mini-mosh in the store. The guy with the red hair (if I remember correctly) is who I thought was Maguire's character. Anyone else have any thoughts to that?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Little disappointed that Warner didn't include BOTH versions for this release, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

I always wondered this myself. However, I thought we saw him once where Mark started that mini-mosh in the store. The guy with the red hair (if I remember correctly) is who I thought was Maguire's character. Anyone else have any thoughts to that?
I never saw the extended cut. Was it any better?

I'll have to pop in the disc again and see if I can find Maguire in that mosh sequence.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 PM

[QUOTE][QUOTE=Luke Hickman;2529567I never saw the extended cut. Was it any better?[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed it. However, I can't remember the differences between the two editions. Just remember seeing the theatrical cut when I was just a kid...I think. It's hard to remember now exactly. But either way, I did like the extended cut a lot.

Quote:
I'll have to pop in the disc again and see if I can find Maguire in that mosh sequence.
I'm just assuming that was him. Might have been. Might not have been. Kinda hard to tell really. Looked on the internet and there was no mention of it. The only thing I could find was someone had mentioned that they thought they saw him skateboarding in the background in some shot.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:20 PM

I remember this movie and enjoyed it years back, even when I wasn't in my teens. Joe LaPaglia was actually kind of hot in this movie and now he looks like a hot mess. I can't believe Renee Zellweger was Gina in this film as I always thought Gina looked like Joey Lauren Adams. Who would've thought Renee could look hot as opposed to cute? This movie was also Liv Tyler's first acting role.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:03 PM

Finally got around to picking this one up. However, Warner is not releasing this anymore. Apparently Regency titles are now going to be re-released by FOX. It's still the EXACT same 25gb disc (albeit with new cover art), where it still plays the Warner opening logo and not the FOX logo. On the back of the box, it says this is only Region A. I have no way to confirm this though.

While I still enjoy the film, I still like the extended Remix Edition a bit more. Just seemed to flow a bit better. 3.5 out of 5.
PQ was pretty good. The print was clean. Detail was good. Black levels and colours were fine. For a 90's teen comedy, this looked better than I thought it was going to be. 4 out of 5.
AQ was somewhat disappointing. I was expecting the audio to sound richer and have better bass, especially for a film that had a nice soundtrack like this. Pitch and audio levels could've been better too at times. Still, it's not all bad; was just expecting better. 3 out of 5
Extras were disappointing. I'll never understand why some of these studios don't really do anything for some of these cult classics. A nice retrospective documentary and/or commentary would've added a nice touch to this release. Maybe add in some of the deleted scenes of Tobey Maguire's character and Mark's sister or something (if those scenes even still exist)? Too bad Warner fumbled the ball on this one.