'Sharky's Machine' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2015, 12:42 PM

Default 'Sharky's Machine' - High-Def Digest Review

Matthew has reviewed 'Sharky's Machine'. Here's what he has to say about this Burt Reynolds classic's Blu-ray debut...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1615...ysmachine.html
Old 04-08-2015, 01:32 PM

Who doesn't want to see more Burt Reynolds at his best?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Glad to see it in its correct aspect ratio at long last, but disappointed they didn't sit Burt down for a commentary.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadan63 View Post
Glad to see it in its correct aspect ratio at long last, but disappointed they didn't sit Burt down for a commentary.
Exactly! This is probably the best "Burt as Burt" tough guy movies, they could have and should have gone full tilt boogie with this disc.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:23 PM

Just saw Sharky's Machine (1981) on Blu; had never seen the film before, but had read the original novel (by William Diehl) back in the '90's. Beautiful print/picture quality, especially considering this is an older film.

This is an excellent action film/police procedural/thriller with an amazing jazz soundtrack; it reminds me more of a '70's film than '80's, which makes sense since early '80's films had a similar vibe/tone to '70's films. The film is also a superb & relatively faithful adaptation of the source material (the novel). Great scenes of early '80's downtown Atlanta as well.

Spoiler
I was not surprised that Domino was not killed in that scene when the junkie hitman killed someone in her apartment...However, since I've never seen the film before - the scene when Sharky saw her come into the apartment (for the first time since he thought she was dead) was very surrealistic, since at first I thought he was imagining her.....

My favorite line in the film is when Sharky confronts the evil master criminal in the expensive restaurant, and states:

"I'm gonna pull the chain on you, pal. And you wanna know why? 'Cause you're f&%$#@ up my city. 'Cause you're walking all over people like you own them. And you wanna know the worst part? You're from out of state."

Classic!
Old 09-04-2016, 09:51 PM

No supplements? UGH
Old 09-05-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Monday View Post
Spoiler
I was not surprised that Domino was not killed in that scene when the junkie hitman killed someone in her apartment...However, since I've never seen the film before - the scene when Sharky saw her come into the apartment (for the first time since he thought she was dead) was very surrealistic, since at first I thought he was imagining her.....
When I first saw it, I thought that part was going to turn out to
Spoiler
be a dream. I thought she and Reynolds were going fall into each other's arms, make love, and then he'd wake up alone and realized he dreamt it.