'Convoy' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2015, 03:11 PM

Default 'Convoy' - High-Def Digest Review

Eric has reviewed 'Convoy'. He recommends checking out this weird slice of 70s culture. Read on for all the details...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/15993/convoy.html
Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 PM

My 12 year old self enjoyed this movie very much. Have to see if that still holds up for me today, but I do like some of these action movies with messy plots.

Reading through your review, I realized how similar the plot is to "Vanishing Point"...
Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 PM

Ernest Borgnine is tremendous in this. That sequence where he steals the muscle car (Nova?) from the potheads, and hauls butt in hot pursuit, screaming and hollering at the old couple in his way. Hilarious.

Like the review said, the plot is nonsense and all over the place. But, if you like trucks and trucker movies, Convoy is probably the best example, and one where the trucks are the real stars. I mean, this thing throws trucks at you nonstop, just more and more trucks every scene. And to top it off with a big finale with trucks destroying an entire town. The only other trucker movie with anything approaching this kind of trucker carnage is the finale of Smokey and the Bandit II, and that movie blows from beginning to end. Convoy is actually pretty fun to watch.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:07 PM

If they'd have done a deluxe release they could have included the soundtrack album on the Blu-ray. I used to have the soundtrack on cassette years ago. It doesn't seem to be available currently in any form.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 AM

This was one of Sam Peckinpah's films that wasn't previously available to me, and being a big fan of his I was interested in checking it out.

I agree with the review here. It does a good job of making trucker culture seem like the most fun thing ever. Kris Kristofferson is a stoic lead who carries the film well, and the film has an overall fun redneck appeal. I really liked the singing as a stylized form of narration and wished it had piped in a bit more often.

As far as these outlaws-as-folk-heroes movies go, this one is pretty similiar to stuff like 'The Legend of Billie-Jean' in that it's cheesy fun that seems think it has some sort of depth that I'm pretty sure it doesn't. It meanders a fair bit and drags at time, but never too badly.

I'm not really sure what's up with Ali McGraw in this movie. As the review said, her character is somewhat pointless to the story. They seem to be setting it up that her photography of the convoy will later be used to tell its legend, but then that never goes anywhere. I mostly assume she's in there because throwing in a good-looking woman never hurt a movie's box office appeal, but then they style her with a distracting jerrycurl and unnatural skin tone that just makes her look funny.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:19 PM

Picked this up recently on Amazon, and just watched it. I am truly satisfied with the PQ, it is a superb upgrade over the 'Cheezy Flicks' dvd that I have. I'm loving how the colors perform so much better, in fact I couldn't even tell that Pig Pens' truck was purple before on the old dvd.