'The Imitation Game' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2015, 05:37 PM

Default 'The Imitation Game' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The Imitation Game'. He says this was one of 2014's best films. With a brilliant screenplay, incredible performances, and some genuine emotion behind it, this is one of the best movies of its kind. This Blu-ray is a must-own.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1700...ationgame.html
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 PM

Best movie of the year. Should have won the AA
Old 03-30-2015, 06:10 PM

I so need to see this.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Shannon I'm coming to find you if I buy this next week and do not feel it to be a great movie
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM

It boggles my mind that so many people adore this movie.

Two things:

1.) I'm British.
2.) What my government did to Turing is shameful, shameful, shameful.

However, a fascinating story does not a good movie make, and in this case it's never been more obvious. Cumberbatch turns in a decent enough performance (though some might say he's quite typecast these days), but one of the big problems with the movie is absolutely nothing happens.

* SPOILERS AHEAD *

* YOU'VE BEEN WARNED *

That the solving of the Enigma code relied on an absolutely idiotic (and completely fictional, I might add) eureka moment in a pub left me turning to my significant other and whispering, "Oh no, tell me they're really not doing that."

Absolutely nothing happens in this movie. The story of Turing is tragic, but the movie is a veritable snoozefest, partly due to the muddled, cliché-ridden script. It also bothers me that his cause of death has to this day proven inconclusive, despite what the movie tells you "happened."

In addition, this movie actually sullies Turing's name further by stating he protected the real identity of John Cairncross, a Soviet double-agent (to protect Turing's homosexuality), something that's COMPLETELY fictional. There are numerous other issues with the movie - too numerous to mention in one post.

It all came across as a movie that caters to just those who have no interest in actual history. Save yourself the money and read up on the history of Turing and what he did for humanity. The film is rather a waste of time by comparison.

Last edited by WilliamSG; 03-30-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSG View Post
That the solving of the code relied on an absolutely idiotic (and completely fictional, I might add) eureka moment in a pub left me turning to my significant other and whispering, "Oh no, tell me they're really not doing that."
I know what you're talking about William and you're 100 percent right - the "eureka" moment you refer to was actually done by the machine itself upon building, rather than something Turing looked for/reprogrammed the machine to look for later on - but, in fact, that IS what broke the code.

It's a bit of dramatic license that I don't have an issue with. It doesn't change anything about the importance of the man or his depiction by Cumberbatch, in my opinion.

And, of course, it doesn't take away from the fact that this is a really, really GOOD movie. I don't judge my films on historical accuracy UNLESS they blatantly misrepresent history, and for me, this was a tweaking that was acceptable.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
I know what you're talking about William and you're 100 percent right - the "eureka" moment you refer to was actually done by the machine itself upon building, rather than something Turing looked for/reprogrammed the machine to look for later on - but, in fact, that IS what broke the code.

It's a bit of dramatic license that I don't have an issue with. It doesn't change anything about the importance of the man or his depiction by Cumberbatch, in my opinion.
The eureka moment is silly, - looking at the movie in of itself. But if you're going to cite history, well..

...You should take a LOT of issue with the depiction! It's not Cumberbatch's fault per se, but as I edited in my post above, the movie makes Turing out to be a traitor to his government by protecting a Soviet double-agent. That's quite frankly unforgivable.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSG View Post
You should take a LOT of issue with the depiction. It's not Cumberbatch's fault per se, but as I edited in my post above, the movie makes Turing out to be a traitor to his government by protecting a Soviet double-agent. That's quite frankly unforgivable.
I don't think the movie does that at all. Turning reports the spy in the movie to his superior - the superior already knew. Turing did his duty.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
I don't think the movie does that at all. Turning reports the spy in the movie to his superior - the superior already knew. Turing did his duty.
Eventually - this is a key word. And still made up, - this is a key phrase.

I'm certainly not going to even try to convince you that you didn't REALLY like the movie.

I just can't believe the amount of love it gets. There are so, so many better films to waste an evening on, that's for sure.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 AM

I liked the movie, apparent historical inaccuracies aside. This is still probably among the more accurate portrayals of historical events than 99% 'based on a true story' movies. If nothing else, maybe it will get some people interested in reading up on Turing further?

"Eureka" moments is a rather tired, and often stupid movie trope though.